MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

Dinner tonight.

Vietnamese Steak with Cucumber & Radish Salad

Grilled at 435* with the FlameZone cover off. I feel like I'm just starting to get a feel for grilling on the MAK.

9thVG7M.jpg

Dinner tonight.

Vietnamese Steak with Cucumber & Radish Salad

Grilled at 435* with the FlameZone cover off. I feel like I'm just starting to get a feel for grilling on the MAK.

9thVG7M.jpg

Yeah, I’d say you’re doing just fine!!

Killer dish Robb but it kinda looks like a griddle cook thing, I guess it's better with a little smoke?

Killer dish Robb but it kinda looks like a griddle cook thing, I guess it's better with a little smoke?

Normally done on the Camp Chef griddle, yes. Maybe a very slight hint of smoke... but it was more of a “I wanna fire up the MAK” kinda night. It’s my therapy :)

i-cWkbFHg-L.jpg

A little overcooked - possibly related to the fire alarm (the grill will alert for this, text will alert but the web console not so much)
i-Rjgbgsn-L.jpg

i-cWkbFHg-L.jpg

A little overcooked - possibly related to the fire alarm (the grill will alert for this, text will alert but the web console not so much)
i-Rjgbgsn-L.jpg

They look excellent! What do you mean by the “fire alarm?” Did you have a grease fire or something?

The text message said flare up, the Pellet Boss said fire alarm. I'm not sure if it was a grease fire or if the Bear Mountain pellets ran out and the Lumberjack started and burned hotter than the Bear mountain.

The text message said flare up, the Pellet Boss said fire alarm. I'm not sure if it was a grease fire or if the Bear Mountain pellets ran out and the Lumberjack started and burned hotter than the Bear mountain.

Interesting. Did you find the actual temp to be considerably hotter than the set point?

It spiked up to a max of 75 degrees over if the graph is accurate (as the pellet boss went down to 190 and that doesn't show I'm not sure if the polling period was too long or what happened).

i-DcktGgc-XL.png

It spiked up to a max of 75 degrees over if the graph is accurate (as the pellet boss went down to 190 and that doesn't show I'm not sure if the polling period was too long or what happened).

i-DcktGgc-XL.png

That is weird! What type of Lumberjack are you now burning?

Supposed to be the 100% hickory.

You may be on to something as the Bear Mountain have an alder base whereas I do believe the LJ are 100% hickory. The LJ will most definitely put out more BTU’s. I currently burn the Bear Mountain hickory and really like them. I have burned LJ straight oak in the past (higher btu like hickory), and they definitely burn hotter than the Bear Mountain. Aside from higher BTU, not sure what else would cause that prolonged spike.

Im going to open it up tomorrow and see what it looks like. Also I'm curious to see how much ash 20lbs of the Bear mountain left behind.

Im going to open it up tomorrow and see what it looks like. Also I'm curious to see how much ash 20lbs of the Bear mountain left behind.

How often are you emptying the firepot? Being it only takes a minute, I empty after every single cook no matter how long or short the cook was. I simply find the MAK’s to be happier when starting up with a clean firepot. Clean firepot = healthier fire :)

I emptied the pot after the burn in and the CSR cook, so it had ~ 5 hours worth burned between 350-400.

Back