Sauce?

head country, purple pork masters, arbys, mcd's

how many packets of arby's sauce does it take?

I judged the Kettering OH, contest yesterday and BH was on each of the 4 meats that I judged. I had 4 boxes at my table for each meat and BH was on about 1/3+ of all of the meats presented to me. I like BH, but frankly was getting tired of it. I actually began to look forward to judging meats that were not slathered with it. I knew that I would get BH, but I was surprised just how prevalent it was. When judging on Taste, of course I considered how the elements of rub/seasoning, smoke, and sauce worked in harmony to impact the flavor of the meat and did not allow any personal feelings relating to BH impact my scoring.

BTW As a competitive cook I too am "guilty" of relying on BH.:p

I cooked at Kettering yesterday, and I can tell you that 2/3 of our calls did not contain BH including the 1st place pork and 2nd place chicken...Ribs, we do use a slight amount of BH blended with other sauces. Ohio sure did love our food yesterday... except our brisket... not sure what happened there same recipe took 2nd place less than a month ago

cooked at Kettering yesterday, and I can tell you that 2/3 of our calls did not contain BH including the 1st place pork and 2nd place chicken...Ribs,

BigJT...did you just use Draper's on the brisket? We got a comment card that is was too peppery...

Ok I just have to say it. Why in the world would you enter in a comp and use a store bought sauce on your food. If you are using store bought sauces and rubs then you can not call it your own. In my opinion a true pit master would come up with his own recipes. Like the judge said above he gets tired of tasting the same old sauce. Half the fun to cooking is the recipe development process. Turn the corner and be a pioneer. Happy smoking!

Ok I just have to say it. Why in the world would you enter in a comp and use a store bought sauce on your food. If you are using store bought sauces and rubs then you can not call it your own. In my opinion a true pit master would come up with his own recipes. Like the judge said above he gets tired of tasting the same old sauce. Half the fun to cooking is the recipe development process. Turn the corner and be a pioneer. Happy smoking!

While i agree with your statement, im not spending $700 a weekend to be a pioneer, i do that in my off time. I use both store bought and home made injections, rubs, and sauces. Why try to reinvent the wheel with a rub or sauce when there are soooo many that have tried and true rubs. I use 2-4 combos of different rubs and sauces for different catagories. I cook these recipes at least once a week in the summer, just because a store bought sauce is used doesnt mean that i havent used it as a base for my own.

Why try and reinvent the wheel?

There is a great sauce out called
Wades Favorite Apple Chipotle and
Wades Favorite Orange and Spice

Agreed. I too love to create and play around with my own recipes. I love my strawberry tewuilla bbq sauce, but i also don't want to spend an ass ton of money at a comp and not get rewarded! It took me awhile to realize that every team is using the same ingredients in some sort...I too agree, why and reinvent the wheel when it is already out there.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but do you grow your own animals, vegetation, etc and use them in comps?:becky:

I assume you don't compete?

I judged the Kettering OH, contest yesterday and BH was on each of the 4 meats that I judged. I had 4 boxes at my table for each meat and BH was on about 1/3+ of all of the meats presented to me. I like BH, but frankly was getting tired of it. I actually began to look forward to judging meats that were not slathered with it. I knew that I would get BH, but I was surprised just how prevalent it was. When judging on Taste, of course I considered how the elements of rub/seasoning, smoke, and sauce worked in harmony to impact the flavor of the meat and did not allow any personal feelings relating to BH impact my scoring.

BTW As a competitive cook I too am "guilty" of relying on BH.:p

You always here that judges are getting tired of BH and I am sure some such as yourself are. Unfortunately, it seems everytime you try to go down a different road, you get whacked. So, you end up backing up and going back down the same road.

I may be way off base, but I just do not think most judges around here are willing to accept something that is too different than the norm. The norm being sweet (BH).

You probably need to drop at least half a million and raise your own meats with that mentality.

We tried to reinvent the wheel at ACM Throwdown in Vegas. Big mistake, we finished 63rd out of 127 teams. I think a lot of cooks, including us use BH or SBR as a base and modify it to some degree.

Back