A1 replacement

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
I've read here that A1 steak sauce isn't what it used to be. I'm needing to get more and wonder what's out there that tastes like the original A1. Anyone know?

Tried the W sauce last week and will agree it is good. Just like A-1 refrigeration not required.

If you can find it you might want to try HP Sauce. I understand it is similar but yet different.

My wife and her family are european and think HP sauce is the best (It's a British brand). I beg to differ and call it low brow, much to their chagrin, but to each their own. I don't use either, but I think they are fairly interchangeable. It's readily available in Canada, not sure what it's availability is like in the states.

I've read here that A1 steak sauce isn't what it used to be. I'm needing to get more and wonder what's out there that tastes like the original A1. Anyone know?

That explains it. Last time I had A1 with a steak I was like WTF is this?? I thought my taste buds had changed (been quite a few years since I had A1) and didn't think much more of it. But it makes sense that they've changed their formulation, seems like nobody can leave well enough alone these days. :mmph:

A quick look shows at least one of the Kroger stores near me carries HP Sauce in store while WalMart sells it but it has to be shipped in.
Kroger's price is better too.

That explains it. Last time I had A1 with a steak I was like WTF is this?? I thought my taste buds had changed (been quite a few years since I had A1) and didn't think much more of it. But it makes sense that they've changed their formulation, seems like nobody can leave well enough alone these days. :mmph:

They changed the formula to save 0.000000001 cents on each bottle. It was worth losing a million customers.

Lea and Perrins had a variant a few years back that was good, sweet and spicy maybe? I liked it.

country bob's is my goto anymore but I rarely use sauce anyway, once in a while tho, couple times per year maybe

I use A1 quite often. The bottle I just finished was probably a year old, so I don't know what the latest recipe tastes like. I sometimes get a sirloin when out. A local restaurant carries the A1 and I would guess they use enough that the new recipe is what they have now. I'll get some sirloin tips next time I'm there and see what it's like.

There's Worcestershire in my fridge but I haven't used it with a steak. If that works for me I'll get some W sauce.

I use A1 quite often. The bottle I just finished was probably a year old, so I don't know what the latest recipe tastes like. I sometimes get a sirloin when out. A local restaurant carries the A1 and I would guess they use enough that the new recipe is what they have now. I'll get some sirloin tips next time I'm there and see what it's like.

There's Worcestershire in my fridge but I haven't used it with a steak. If that works for me I'll get some W sauce.

It has a weird chemical after taste.

Lea and Perrins had a variant a few years back that was good, sweet and spicy maybe? I liked it.

country bob's is my goto anymore but I rarely use sauce anyway, once in a while tho, couple times per year maybe
Same here. I love the Country Bob's AP sauce. You can definitely taste the similarity to A1 but in a sweeter version.

My wife and her family are european and think HP sauce is the best (It's a British brand). I beg to differ and call it low brow, much to their chagrin, but to each their own.

I found it interesting that HP sauce apparently is not used much on steak in the UK, but on breakfast. Love the big British breakfast! And changes in A1 make me sad. Heinz 57 sauce also isn't anything like I remember as a kid.

But also, Heinz bought the brand and changed the formula. Wrecked it, apparently. Changes in A1 make me sad. Heinz 57 sauce also isn't anything like I remember as a kid.

Good reading here on how HP was changed (at least the most obvious change), and also how it is commonly used.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...-recipe-secretly-changed-after-116-years.html

Same here. I love the Country Bob's AP sauce. You can definitely taste the similarity to A1 but in a sweeter version.

We don't have this country bob's AP in my area, but it sounds a lot like Golden corrals steak sauce which taste just like my local Giant grocery store brand steak sauce. Good stuff. Sometimes i will use both GV brand steak sauce, and Giant brand steak sauce with my steak.

Back