Hamburger press (How many have them?)

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Also are they worth it? I have always used my hands and never a problem. Never owned one... Saw one in action and really thing about getting one and the kicker harbor freight has them for 10 bones.. Discuss

Well, I was thinking I didn't need one until I got to the "HF has them for 10 bucks" part in yer post...can't help ya now! :doh:

I have used them. My Mom had one when I was growing up. It got used a few times and...back to the hands.

I have one. It gets light use. When my kids want more of a fast food style burger on a griddle, I use it get a nice shape and uniform thickness.

It certainly is not a necessity for me and if it disappeared tomorrow, I don't think I would miss it.

I just take my shirt off, grab a handful of ground beef and roll it around on my chest until it's in a nice round ball. Then I put it under my arm and flatten it out. Simple.:thumb:

Please put me on the guest list for your next cook out... Hairy fumunda burgers are my favorite... :heh:

I have one that I bought at a kitchen shop somewhere a while back for about $7 and I use it all the time. It makes nicely formed 1/2 lb patties. Nothing fancy but it helps me keep all the burgers close to the same size and it's easy to use and clean up...

I have one, along with a box of the wax paper wraps for them.

Both have been in the original boxes since Christmas 2008

Or was it 2007?

Yup last weekend saw one in use with the small sheets of wax paper between made a couple hundred pretty quick and yes uniform. I like that you can set depth ect. I can see Mrs. Ash coming home with20lbs of ground and asking me to make burgers. BTW those burgers were better than the patties frozen ones at Sams

I bought one, but it was way too small though it did work. It was very inexpensive so worth a try. The larger ones aren't worth the more expensive price since I can hand make them and it doesn't take a super long time.

I remember the burger taste experts saying not to smash the hamburger while making it. It did something to the flow of the juices when it was being grilled. A not so compacted burger was supposed to be juicier and better tasting.

I remember the burger taste experts saying not to smash the hamburger while making it. It did something to the flow of the juices when it was being grilled. A not so compacted burger was supposed to be juicier and better tasting.

My experience exactly...the more you compress your pattys..tougher and less juicy.

If you had to make a bunch of pattys might be worth it...but then I just have my butcher do it..doesn't charge..and if I get ground chuck still pretty good.

I have read the same thing over and over. However, I have come to the conclusion that I can't make it work on my own. I run into problems of the burgers falling apart when I try to flip them. It's all measurebating I suppose... I can't taste a difference between a burger I've made with the press or by hand.

I've seen them but never use one.

I just take my shirt off, grab a handful of ground beef and roll it around on my chest until it's in a nice round ball. Then I put it under my arm and flatten it out. Simple.:thumb:

Oo gross. Is this for real? Haha. Fuzzy burgers!

For real tho I just use my hands. I've seen them in stores and might try one out soon. Just to test em

Ash,
I bought one from Cabela's along with the wax papers shortly after I started grinding my own meat. If i'm making a burger from fresh ground, I don't always use it. I grind up chucks all the time though and may make 20 or 30 patties at a time to freeze. I like the uniform thickness. It's adjustable from 1/4 lb up to 1/2lb or more. I just partially thaw enough to get the paper off and pop them on the grill. For that price, you can't go wrong.
With the right fat content and cooking them on medium side, they will still be juicy. I use 1/4" plate when grinding burgers.

Seems like a bit of a unitasker to me. Alton would not approve.

Back