Brisket and Brew Day

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
20111002_BrewBrisket_101.JPG

I got up about 6am this morning and fired up the drum. I put a 12.5lb brisket on right at 7am...

20111002_BrewBrisket_102.JPG

I took a quick peek about 2.5 hours in... it's cooking between 260 and 275°...

20111002_BrewBrisket_103.JPG

I set up my propane burner with the new wind screen that I built yesterday so I can brew beer in the wind...

20111002_BrewBrisket_099.JPG

I crushed the grains (about 12lbs of various stuff) for an American Brown Ale. I hope to get this mash started about noonish. Gonna have a friend or two over this afternoon for some beer and football along with the homebrewing and brisket cook. Gonna get some ABTs ready to throw on the grill while the mash is going...

I like the home Brew idea. Never tried any and dont know anyone who makes their own brew. Maybe one day I'll attempt it. Brisket looking good.
I'm keeping easy today. Smoked chicken and rice dressing.

Sounds like on fine day, to be sure!!

BBQ, Beer, Football...doesn't get much better than that!! Enjoy!

JMS_0643.jpg

My parents brought me a cool apron back from their recent Alaskan cruise :)

I am very jealous sir! Sounds like and looks like you will be having a day to remember!

Brisket and beer and Foosball. Man, I want my invitation to the party and to start things off right the ABT's sounds like so much awesomeness!

In all honesty, homebrewing is why I decided I wanted to start low-and-slow Q cooking. I think it's a great addition to the brew day. This is my first brew day since early April. I tend to brew mostly when the weather is cooler. I'm hoping my drum and my WSM can function well enough in cold weather to accompany the brewing hobby. We have a cold front coming through here right now and it was 46° when I got started this morning. It's 56° now at 1pm...

I put my brisket on the WSM this morning at 26 degrees....still running great on 3/4 bag of charcoal but it did warm up nicely.

The WSM will have no issues in the cold just will burn a little more fuel. Some will use a welding blanket to wrap it when its real cold to add some insulation.

Very nice set up.....butt, brisket and brew here for the Packer slaughtering of the Broncos and another Brewer win. Drinking a Guinness now, but now you got me wanted some English Ale from my friends brewery.

JMS has life down good today-mellow here too,but still eating on Thursday's cook.
Enjoy it,bro.T

20111002_BrewBrisket_104.JPG

Got the grains mashed...

20111002_BrewBrisket_105.JPG

Got the wort boiled...

20111002_BrewBrisket_106.JPG

Chilled and into the fermenter... still waiting for it to cool a few more degrees to room temp before pitching the yeast...

20111002_BrewBrisket_108.JPG

The big brisket was looking really good at 10 hours in...

20111002_BrewBrisket_109.JPG

I pulled it at the 11 hour mark... the flat passed the probe test nicely at 197 degrees. The point was still at 187, but I'm going to separate the flat, cut it into cubes, and use it in some chili sometime soon... The brisket is gonna rest in the cooler for a couple hours while I get dinner on the grill... two nice fat ribeyes!

Last edited:
Good job!

I did two racks of ribs today at 280 for about 2.5 hours.
Then put it in a cooler to rest for another two.
Finished on the grill for 15-20 minutes.

Came out great.

full of win and awesome. the only way you can top that is by having a stripper in addition to all that....

Man I gotta start that Home brew process... been wanting to but the wifey keeps rolling her eyes at me( I roll them back of course!:shock:) JMS I may have to hit you up for a quick tutorial on the brewing process!!!!:becky:

JMS, you should do a quick how-to pictorial on the brew process.

Brisket and brew what a combo. Sounds like a great day. Brisket looks great.

Back