THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
After my last cook, this one came out much better. So out of 3 cooks on the bandera, 1 great(the first), 1 not great(the 2nd) and now a very good.

The first time I used a lot of Kingsford with hickory chunks added. The 2nd time used lump with hickory chunks.

This time, I used a little kingsford, a little kingsford lump(gets very hot) and pecan splits from Academy.

Much easier to regulate the temps using the kingsford and the splits.

Ordered a charcoal basket from Spicewine and it is on its way. I will try it out next weekend.

I will need some advice on using the charcoal basket.

I started out using charcoal on the Bandera but I have since moved to mostly lump and split wood. There is too much ash with the charcoal and I like the smell better with the lump as opposed to the charcoal.

Smoker said:
I started out using charcoal on the Bandera but I have since moved to mostly lump and split wood. There is too much ash with the charcoal and I like the smell better with the lump as opposed to the charcoal.

I have to agree, I've been more diligent in looking for Lump instead of just settling for Kingsford. And now that it seems nearly impossible to fins the old style K-briquets, I might eventually have to go to purely stick burning if the lump supply goes away. There hasn't been much of a reliable supply of any kind of lump in my area.

JTMcD.

Back