Joplin help

barnburner

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Everyone.... I live in Joplin and we are fine. I would love to help with a food relief effort here. Anyone and I mean anyone that can help please find it in your heart to do so. I would love to help organize a event where everyone who can come to help feed the first responders. This will be a monumental task. Anyone that can come, please bring your cookers, food, anything! If you want to ship me pre-cooked food email me, if you want me to do anything just get a hold of me. I want to help and I can help here. The southern half of this entire town is completely gone.

Please email me at richie.allen03@gmail.com if I can help.

By friday we will have a large crew of comp cooks turning out food.

The comp community is coming together big for this, Cookshack is providing us with an FEC 300. When I called Stuart, he just said sure, come pick it up. Others are being equally generous...

Jeff - If you have the logistics, any chance you can post? Not sure if I can get away to help, but if so, would be able to help however needed, just looking for organized info

I wish I could be there to help out and well if it’s after the next couple of weeks…

I’ve dropped a couple of emails to some of our sponsors from my NASCAR days and am hoping that they can help us out with some raw product.

Best of luck and I’m glad you all came through it OK!

Operation BBQ Relief in Joplin
by Jeff Stith on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 12:54am

Update on feeding folks in Joplin - We have four or five large capacity smokers. Should be enough. Can use some FEs to hold food once done. Again, we will be in the mall parking lot at 7th and Rangeline with the Farmers Insurance command center. You can MapQuest the location of the intersection. I plan to be in Joplin by noon on Tuesday. Stan is already in the area. If you are stopped by National Guard, let them know you are with the KCBS/Kookers Kare people working with Farmers Insurance to cook BBQ for displaced families and rescue workers. Looks like we have both pork and chicken donated and probably buns, water and single serving chips. Will verify that in the morning. Kookers Kare will be helping with other items. Have plenty of hickory donated per Tim Gray. May need charcoal. Pork may arrive sometime Tuesday. Chicken (50,000 pounds from OK Foods) arrives on Wednesday. Will feed any displaced families and rescue workers who come to our location. We will also obtain the locations/addresses of all temporary shelters set up in area churches, schools, etc. and deliver meals to those locations each day at lunch and dinner. Plan is to have 5 to 10 people there each day, Tuesday through Monday of next week. We can rotate out in shifts depending on when you can be there. Please post on the BBQ Relief page I will create here on Facebook and invite you to join when you can be there. I will be able to check as we will have WiFi through the Farmers Insurance satellite. My cell is (816) 590-5057 but I may or may not be able to take calls depending on what we're doing or if we even will have good cell coverage as towers are down.

PLEASE - we can use as many ServSafe Certified people as possible to avoid problems with the health department!!! If you are not certified through ServSafe, go to www.ServSafe.com and purchase the online class. Mine for Missouri was only $15 and I completed the course, took the test and printed my certificate in less than 90 minutes! I think all of us arriving on Tuesday have done this. If you are coming later, there should be plenty of time! Don't forget to print your certificate after you take the test and bring a couple of copies with you just in case.

What should you bring? Some suggestions:

* ServSafe Certificate (couple of copies)

* Snacks and drinks for yourself

* Coolers

* Cambro / Carlisle

* Thermapen

* Single use gloves (preferably nitrile)

* Any rubs and/or sauces you wish to donate!!!

* Pillow / blanket / chair (some sleeping in their car - limited space for RVs)

* Rain gear (it's supposed to rain from time to time)

* If you have them and wish to contribute, full size aluminum pans and foil/lids

* Change of clothes or two and comfortable shoes

* Bus tubs

*Full size sheet pans

* Coleman Hot water heaters

* water storage containers (FILLED AT HOME!!! There is a boil order in Joplin!)

* Generators (bring plenty of gasoline)

* Camera (I plan to take some photos - I fully expect seeing things that will remain with me the rest of my life)

Safe travels to you all and thank you for your support of the citizens of Joplin.

let me know if you need help over the memorial weekend. just shoot me a pm and i will see what i can do.
Ron

Kim, I posted on FB as requested, but forgot to add that I will be able to do deliveries to the shelters if needed. Thank you for doing this.

barnburner, our Springfield Sertoma has smokers set up at Magoos on Kentucky and 7th. I took 150 lbs of butts and 400 lbs of charcoal to them today. Jim and Jeff are cooking and they are a competition team as well. Stop by and say I to them if you can. Glad you are okay brother>

FYI....

Anyone wanting to donate money by check please Make your check out to Kookers Kare Inc. and mail it to Kookers Kare Inc. 7162 Highway O Odessa, MO 64076-7285.

More info will be available soon as to being able to make a donation using a credit card. Thank You Gerry Kookers Kare Treasurer

barnburner, our Springfield Sertoma has smokers set up at Magoos on Kentucky and 7th. I took 150 lbs of butts and 400 lbs of charcoal to them today. Jim and Jeff are cooking and they are a competition team as well. Stop by and say I to them if you can. Glad you are okay brother>

Thank you for donating! God bless. I'll be out in the area starting promptly tomorrow morning and plan on helping until until I drop from exhaustion. Anyone that needs anything, I live here and can provide shelter, shower, whatever. Please email me at my above post. God bless everyone that is helping, we desperately need it.

If anyone wants to mail, FedEx, or UPS rubs, sauces, anything the cooks might need, please send it to me and I will make sure it gets to the cookers here in Joplin. Email me and I will provide my home address for shipping info.

Brethren Bump.
I cant make the trip but plan to send some stuff. I hope the rest of the comp farkers can as well.

Back