Rate my rib box please...

Gary in Va

Knows what a fatty is.
I need some opinions guys... take a look at a recent rib turn in box and give me your true score/opinion

Thanks

The ribs look very good. The garnish is somewhat disheveled and sticking out over the side of the box which keeps me from giving a very high score. I normally don't like looks of ribs placed on a diagonal, nor seeing the sides presented, but that rib sure looks tasty and I really want to eat one.

I would give you an 8 as is, but you could get a 9 from me with some minor improvements.

Guess I would never be a judge, who cares if diagonal or symmetrical - organized looks good to me.Thought it looked good

Looks like an 8+ to me. I like seeing the sides and they have good color. I'm ready for the sampling now!!

8 from me. The ribs seem to be sinking into the garnish a little, especially the one on it's edge. I personally don't think turning ribs on their side helps on appearance. my .02

Strong 8 could be 9, the top one looks out of place, laying on it's side. It doesn't seem to be hurting scores since your getting 8-9's. This is why I wish I could lay out every box I have to judge and arrange them in order, from lowest score to the highest:!:

Gary,
I think this is an 8. The garnish is a little haywire. Make it EVEN or symetrical all around. We are not to be judging the garnish but its all in the presentation. Leave the rib turned up on its side. Show your meat and be proud man!

the ribs look awesome!! what the heck does the lettuce have to do with the ribs?? that is why i don't get into competition!! i cook meat, not lettuce!!! ok now flame me!:-D

the 7th rib looks out of place :wink:

Agree big time. Don't do that as it is very distracting from a very nice rib presentation. The ribs look great and the view of the rib on the side is like is way overbearing to the eye. Just my first impression and the judges only get a quick first impression. They don't get much time to critique the box. You know, opinioions are like ......every has one. Taste and tenderness rule.

as others said - 8

If you are going to present the single rib on its side then the others need to be flush with themselves.

Not a judge, only with my own Q, but I have to agree with the 7th rib. As I looked at the Picture, my eye kept wandering up to the rib on its side and then I would look back down at the others. Then that 7th one would pull me back.

I would recommend not turning on its side. It is distracting from an awesome set of ribs.

As a non competing Brethren I would say outstanding, but listen to the competitors and judges. Would it be rude to say, " you got some good looking meat?"

So how did it really score?

Glad someone asked... that's why I am a little ticked off...

the presentation scores were: 9, 9, 8, 7, 6, 6

I can understand the 8 & the 7 but the two 6's.... I was ticked off

I will agree that the garnish could be a little more even all the way around, and I will take to heart all the comments about the rib on its side, (I like it, but it seems the majority does not). Now, tell me.. does that box really deserve a 6? (and be honest)

I personally like the single rib on its side...I think it shows confidence, and it also helps to fill out the box and make nice composition with the diagonal pieces. My main critique would relate to the garnish. It should be more evenly distributed around the box. I would say that 8 or 9 is a fair score. I don't see where anyone would give it a 6...that is simply too harsh IMO. Was this a sanctioned event? Do you know if the judges were CBJ's?

Glad someone asked... that's why I am a little ticked off...

the presentation scores were: 9, 9, 8, 7, 6, 6

I can understand the 8 & the 7 but the two 6's.... I was ticked off

I will agree that the garnish could be a little more even all the way around, and I will take to heart all the comments about the rib on its side, (I like it, but it seems the majority does not). Now, tell me.. does that box really deserve a 6? (and be honest)
Thats why compititions chap my hide. I don't understand how you could get judges giving you 9's and 6's. Good looking BBQ is Good looking BBQ. I like the rib turned on its side. You are supposed to present your meat in the best possible manner and i think it's great to actually see the entire rib and not just the top. I would have deffinitly given you a 9 for sure. Looks great to me. keep up the good work.

Back