THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks like I am with the other Brothers I would probably give it an 8 with the way those ribs looked I would have given a 9 had the one rib not been turned to the side and I believe they look better when they are straight in the box. Still a solid rib box though the color on those ribs is great. I think a 6 is pretty harsh those ribs are definitely above average in appearance.

I would give it a 9 I liked the 7th rib on it's side, and the color of the other 6 was great. I looked at the garnish and thought eh he needs to work on that and then went back to looking at the ribs. Thought that is a good 8 then thought, why isn't it a 9? It is a nine I wouldn't mind digging into that box right now. So while I had more time than normal to process that box, it was my own initial reservation of giving a 9 that held me back.
I believe that judges these days are afraid to give nines and are just looking to give poor scores and when they can't they will give a 7 or 8. Very few have an understanding in their own minds what a 9 means to them, so they have no idea how to give high scores. Then you get the judges that feel they are doing you a favor by giving you low scores (make you work harder next time). These are usually the ones that do not compete and do very little q'ing in their back yards as they are always at comps on weekends.
Did that box deserve anything below an 8? No but as you can see from the various responses here opinions will differ. Cook and garnish for the judges, not for yourself.
Ok off my soapbox now.

Question from a non-competing brother: What is the "norm" for presentation? Is it each individual's preference? Do most of you just place all ribs side by side? It seems that placing the one rib on it's side is not the norm.

I would think showing the smoke ring and beautiful looking meat would be a bonus. Maybe evening out the placement of rib would help, it does look a bit uneven.

Thats why compititions chap my hide. I don't understand how you could get judges giving you 9's and 6's. Good looking BBQ is Good looking BBQ. I like the rib turned on its side. You are supposed to present your meat in the best possible manner and i think it's great to actually see the entire rib and not just the top. I would have deffinitly given you a 9 for sure. Looks great to me. keep up the good work.

*note to self: Get pigpen to judge all my contests.*

Question from a non-competing brother: What is the "norm" for presentation? Is it each individual's preference? Do most of you just place all ribs side by side? It seems that placing the one rib on it's side is not the norm.

I would think showing the smoke ring and beautiful looking meat would be a bonus. Maybe evening out the placement of rib would help, it does look a bit uneven.

It is mostly cooks preference. As a former CBJ, I have seen 4 ribs on bottom, 4 on top. 6 across diagonally. 3 on 1 side, 3 on the other.

Smoke ring should not influence you, but I am arrorgant enought to think I can pick out a true smoke ring from a nitrate induced one. Hey people say they can tell the difference between woods, and I think thats BS!

I liked the rib on its side just for the "show me what you got" attitude!

I'm kinda torn between an 8 and a 9...

Question. Did you let the box sit for about 15 minutes before you took the picture? If you did, you've got some very juicy ribs!!!! That is always my concern that with the time it takes to get the box to the judges and the delay before they see them that a single rib on it's side is going to look dry.

As for the strange scores... I had a brisket box that scored 9-9-8-9-9-5... How the hell do you score below average on appearance????

It is mostly cooks preference. As a former CBJ, I have seen 4 ribs on bottom, 4 on top. 6 across diagonally. 3 on 1 side, 3 on the other.

Smoke ring should not influence you, but I am arrorgant enought to think I can pick out a true smoke ring from a nitrate induced one. Hey people say they can tell the difference between woods, and I think thats BS!

I liked the rib on its side just for the "show me what you got" attitude!

I have to agree, I do like the rib on the side and the 6 that are going for the judges look great. I dont like the green you may want to add more to the middle to kinda hold the ribs up a little. In judging the smoke ring does not count but that is a awesome looking rib and you should be proud to display it. I would give a 8 because of the green.

Personally and I am no expert or judge, but I would think that the one rib on the side is a little too much. In my opinion it makes the box look too crowded. I would think if I turned in the box I would get a 7.

Solid 8 - possibly a 9. I like the # 7 rib on edge showing the color of the meat. I'm not going to mention the smoke ring that "isn't" taken into consideration. The greens are uneven but I try to ignore them because it's a meat contest. I also like a turn in box that is full - it just plain looks better & gives some for the TC. Like I said, 8 maybe a 9; lots of times things do look better in person.

Back