LSG 20" x 42" or Shirley Patio 24" x 42".

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have about $2K +/- earmarked for a nice stick burner. It's a 2 horse race at this point. Reverse flow vs traditional flow. The Shirley is thicker steel but I don't think the wait time is as long on the LSG. I'm really torn between the two and I'd just like to read some input and the pros and cons from Brethren who own these cookers.

Just wanted to let you know that the St. Louis BBQ Store often gets a shipment of patio Shirley's and that would probably be quicker than the wait time. Ask someone who knows the schedule if there is an ETA for them.

Just wanted to let you know that the St. Louis BBQ Store often gets a shipment of patio Shirley's and that would probably be quicker than the wait time. Ask someone who knows the schedule if there is an ETA for them.
I'm very interested in the new Shirley patio model as well. I know its a bit smaller and not in production yet. I really like the single door. I will check out St.Louis BBQ Store. Thank you.

You should come and visit and cook on a Shirley, once you hear and see the smoke and sizzle when drippings hit a reverse flow plate you'll know why once people own a RF design they rarely go back and no one does it like @TuscaloosaQ and his crew.

I am sending all my Langs down the road as I am able to replace them with Shirley Fabs, the quality and design is remarkable.

If you really want an open pit design LSG is probably the way to go they have a quality product and are known for excellent service.

I Have no experience with Shirley Mfg. and I have only had my LSG a short time but between craftsmanship and customer service...I would buy another one tomorrow.
Very pleased with it.

There is always the possibility of a used Shirley...as a matter of fact...my 24x50 is going to be posted on this site soon.

I love the thing and the only reason I am getting rid of it is because I have a brand new one coming soon.

You have reached the fork that lots of us come to in our stick burner quest. You can't go wrong. I'm partial to shirley but that new LSG is sweet and the price is right. My decision was based on price and capacity. Both builders are great so that's a wash...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have owned 2 (3rd on the way) LSG and a Shirley trailer. For a patio model I would go with the new LSG unless you want to wait on the prototype like BBQFreak just teased everyone with. I thought about waiting, but decided I could get the LSG 20x42 quicker and a hair cheaper than the SF.

The new 20x42 is basically a top flow smoker, and I think is built to the perfect size for a true backyard cook without going overboard. I usually always buy too big, but decided to be sensible this go round and landed on the LSG. You will never hear anything negative about SF from me though, it was like having the hottest girl in the room anytime someone would see it.

I am partial to my Shirley but I do think the new LSG 20 x 42 is an outstanding design and prefer it over their other models that use the tuning plates. Both are high quality pits and I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

No matter the brand. Look at a 20" and a 24" just to compare how much more room/cooking space that 4" makes.

I'm in the same boat. I'm torn between the two and I never cooked on either a reverse flow or traditional. I have several honey-do items to do around the house before I can pull the trigger.

Not trying to hijack the thread but howwould a Jambo Backyard pit stack up against the LSG and Shirley pits?

What about the double doors on the Shirley? The new patio model has a single door. Is there any advantage to either? I kinda like the single door on the LSG and new SF patio.

What about the double doors on the Shirley? The new patio model has a single door. Is there any advantage to either? I kinda like the single door on the LSG and new SF patio.

They had the foresight to allow door clearance for full height steam table pans on the Shirley patio models from the front shelf.

Imagine dealing with pans full of food otherwise and trying to free up your hands to open and close cabinet doors a top load would have a big advantage otherwise.

I really like the single door concept as it needs to be wide open to slide out the grates and it's one less thing to do get's you in and out of the cooker and the door closed back up faster.

oD7hLrTl.jpg

You can't go wrong with either, the LSG 20 X 42 is a great price and a reasonable wait time, the SF Patio will give you more cooking space and from what I understand a significant wait time. Get the LSG now and put a down payment on a SF and eventually you will have both...:mrgreen:

Jambo Backyard vs. Shirley 24x48 Patio vs LSG 20x42

Delete

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with either, the LSG 20 X 42 is a great price and a reasonable wait time, the SF Patio will give you more cooking space and from what I understand a significant wait time. Get the LSG now and put a down payment on a SF and eventually you will have both...:mrgreen:
Haha that would be nice. Ultimately I only plan to keep 3 cookers. The Weber, UDS, and a new, high quality stick burner. The others are going down the road.

Back