mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I’m a BBQ novice and I was creating a list of entry level smokers for a cousin who was considering getting into the life (aka the addiction). In the under $300 category, I let him in on some of the obvious choices including the WSM 18.5”, the Akorn Kamdo, potentially building a UDS. Then I stumbled across the Dyna-Glo Bullet Smoker.

It’s like their engineers had been trolling the ECB mods boards for suggestions. From appearances (online) it seems the parts fit well, has an exhaust damper, an intake damper, and a grate on the bottom of the charcoal pan for airflow. For $58 @ Wally World I don’t think a person could go wrong for an entry level smoker or a portable smoker for picnics/camping.

Don’t get me wrong I had an ECB in the past, and the mods were simple. But for the first time smoker having something simple like this that pretty much works out of the box could be very encouraging.

Anyone have one of these, or seen one of these in real life? :-o

Stay with the WSM or build a UDS...avoid all things Dyna Glo!

Stay with the WSM or build a UDS...avoid all things Dyna Glo!

I agree. I would lean towards a gently used WSM for $100-150. However, for $60 for someone dipping their toes in it's not bad, but for a couple more bucks...

I agree. I would lean towards a gently used WSM for $100-150. However, for $60 for someone dipping their toes in it's not bad, but for a couple more bucks...

I see it differently. For someone dipping their toes in...DynaGlo puts out thin metal leaky cheap junk. When a new-to-smoking person has to fight leaks of heat/smoke and fight to maintain temp because of thin metal and leaking heat/smoke...think that person will be excited about it? or think he/she will get discouraged and want to give up?
I strongly recommend a WSM for a beginner...can even start with the 14...WSM was my first cooker and is my recommendation for all new to smoking.
Just my two cents.

bwram1 has a good point. That's something we tackle in the cigar world with newbies. You don't want to give them the plain jane boring 'safe' cigars, because you want them to be hooked on the hobby! I can see the same applying to this as well. Find something reasonably priced, that you don't have to fight, and that puts out a pleasing end result.

Back