Pastrami...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
...been wanting to do some pastrami for a while now...so here we go...:p

I'm using Chris Allingham's recipe from The Virtual Weber Bullet...
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

Day 1...

Trimmed up an 8lb brisket and applied the curing rub...

P1010063.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010068.jpg

In to the fridge for a 3 day cure...see ya on Sunday!

make sure you flip it once a day....

The recipe calls for twice a day...:p

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Cure The Brisket For Three Days[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]The only thing you have to do during the next three days is turn the bag over twice a day, each time giving it a gentle shake back and forth to mix things up. The turning and mixing helps the meat to cure evenly.[/FONT]

i've used that recipe and have had great results

aww darnit!

After reading the buckboard bacon threads, I had convinced myself that was what i was going to start curing this weekend.

Now this?

I recall seeing some pron of homemade pastrami on here a while back, and it looked fabulous.

Antici-----------------pation! Standing by for the finale.

aww darnit!

After reading the buckboard bacon threads, I had convinced myself that was what i was going to start curing this weekend.

Now this?

I recall seeing some pron of homemade pastrami on here a while back, and it looked fabulous.

There's still time...:twisted: I've got a hankerin' for some grilled reubens...:p

real reubens dont use pastrami though, uses corned beef!!!

Yep..I buy corned beef and then smoke it with a few spices on it to give it that nice zing..

But..basically Pastrami and Corned beef are pretty much just brisket that has been put in a brine with saltpeter.

Please send me a sandwich, when it's done!

..........Salt what? never mind. Can't wait for this pron. You gotta make some rye now.

Yep..I buy corned beef and then smoke it with a few spices on it to give it that nice zing..

But..basically Pastrami and Corned beef are pretty much just brisket that has been put in a brine with saltpeter.

You are correct sirs...so...what shall I call my sandwich...:confused:

Grilled pastrami on rye with sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and homemade thousand island dressing???
:lol::lol::lol:

..........Salt what? never mind. Can't wait for this pron. You gotta make some rye now.

Yes I do...:p

Ive been wanting to do one of these as well...but where in the hell do you get Tenderquick ?
Is it a online buy only? Ive searched high and low.

Ive been wanting to do one of these as well...but where in the hell do you get Tenderquick ?
Is it a online buy only? Ive searched high and low.

I got mine at the local grocer in town...I think Wal-Mart may carry it.

excerpt from the recipe posted in the first post of the thread...good luck!

Morton Tender Quick (salt, sugar, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, and propylene glycol) acts as the curing agent and provides salt and sugar to flavor the meat. It can be found at many Wal-Mart stores throughout the U.S. (on the same aisle where salt is sold), and at butcher supply stores and online suppliers like Allied Kenco.

Not the 3 Wally Worlds I have near me....maybe if I drive to Washington?

Sandwich

You are correct sirs...so...what shall I call my sandwich...:confused:

Grilled pastrami on rye with sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and homemade thousand island dressing???
:lol::lol::lol:

I would call it deliscious!!!!:-D

Back