Assassin grill long-term road test?

chefnski

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
CG
Hi everyone - I am doing research into grills that perform well as smokers and I have read through a lot of the threads about Assassin grills.

As Assassin is a young(er) company, I'm curious if any owners on this forum have used the grill for at least a couple seasons and could post about their experience.
- Do you still love this grill after using it for a few seasons?
- What has impressed you most?
- What has disappointed you?
- Are there parts that have worn out quickly?
- Has your experience so far made you wish you had ordered your grill with a specific customization or upgrade?

Thanks so much -- you're all a wealth of knowledge!

I bought my Assassin 28 about 4 or 5 years ago now and bought it used. It was one of the first ones made and the only thing that I have done to it since I owned it was change the gaskets on it and since I had the doors open I installed a heavier insulation. It was a simple job and since I ordered the gasket directly from Assassin they also sent me new screws. Beyond that I have done nothing with for it is built like a tank.
The cooker cooks great with a very quick recovery time when the door has been opened. It has won me a few trophies as well so I cannot complain about the finished product that it has produced.
The only thing that I wish that it had were larger tires to make it easier to roll over rough ground. If I was to buy a new one that is one upgrade that I would have them add on. The casters that mine has are just standard heavy duty casters that work great on hard smooth surfaces. Add a few rocks into the mix and then you are having to man handle it to get it into position. Another thing that I wish it had was the ability to level it with some sort of attached screw jacks. Again cooking at different contests I have had to have help in leveling it up due to sloped sites or gravel lots.

Overall it is a fantastic cooker and if for some reason I would ever need to buy a new smoker I would buy another Assassin 28. More room then I will need even cooking at a contest.

That’s great to hear how well the smoker is holding up. Does anyone else have experience with their grills?

I have seen a lot of them at comps. They are very nice and I hear they have awesome customer service.

Back