Pulled Pork Not Juicy Enough For Wife

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Brethren,

I have cooked four pork butts since last November. The flavor profile is excellent, the meat is tender, butt, my wife says it is not juicy enough. I cook on my UDS with a Weber dome at 225 to 240. Ideas on why not juicy?

What is your process?

Foil/no foil? Brine/no brine?

We need some details to help you out.

No foil, no brine, have used Kosmos pork injection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lack of sauce? I actually re-heat mine in sauce after pulling and let the meat soak it up to make it more moist and flavourful.

It might be that you are pulling your meat too early though too. You need to rest meat after cooking it to let the juices re-distribute throughout the cut. Butts I usually let rest 20-30 mins, same for whole chickens and turkeys, while steaks I rest for 5 mins.... So if you're pulling right away - try waiting a little while and you might see improvemnt.

Cheers :-D

Have you tried one without injecting? You may want to foil at some point. Do you have a water pan in the UDS? If not you may want to try adding one to keep the moisture up in the UDS.

^^^^^What he said too.

Been using all natural and sometimes organic pork lately and it has been pretty dry. The cheap IBP butts are always full of fat and super juicy. Maybe it's the pork?

I agree with Bacon99. In fact, I usually wait a minimum of an hour and sometimes several hours before pulling. You did not mention if you rest at all. Assuming you do, do you save the juice that is in the foil? Some will let it set and skim the fat. Personally, I mix it back into the pulled meat. The meat will suck it up like a sponge.

When I cook shoulder I do a light brine the night before, inject with apple juice and add rub the morning of the cook. Smoke for three hours. Pull shoulder off smoker one at a time reinject with more apple juice, add a light coating of your rub rap up tight in foil ( no more smoke) cook to 195* to 200* it will be very juicy :becky:

Bacon_99

The minimum the meat has rested is 3 hours.

I usually make up a batch of vinegar sauce and pour some in as I get done pulling various sections of meat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you trimming the fat cap? Try to leave more fat next time.

Let the meat rest for about 30 minutes,or if in a hurry I use a little apple juice as a short cut.

r u using a diffuser try that next time course i have 0 experiance with a uds

Just by their nature, a UDS will be a dryer environment. IMO I think you need to add moisture to the cooker or wrap in foil once the butt hits 165*. You said you have not done anything different on all the butts, now just change one thing and see how it turns out.

Hey Brethren,

I have cooked four pork butts since last November. The flavor profile is excellent, the meat is tender, butt, my wife says it is not juicy enough. I cook on my UDS with a Weber dome at 225 to 240. Ideas on why not juicy?

Because it's drier than a fish fart rolled in sand?

Cook the pork like you do now at 225*-250* when the butt has come out of its stall foil it in a pan and cover tightly. Then run your pit trmp to 325*-350* until it is pull apart tender usually 200*-205* internal.

This part is crucial. There will be alot of liquid in the foil. SAVE EVERY DROP!!! Juice, rendered fat and all! After the meat is pulled mix it all back in and your Wife should be happy with it then.

If you wrap use the juices in the foil to reapply to the pork after pulling. If thats not an option place a pan under the pork during the cooking process to do the same thing.

Back