THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A happy wife,,,, youll have a happy man! LOL But,, I was taught to use a pan with water, I inject the night before with coke and applejuice, let it set in coke and applej overnight. Then I mop with the same stuff, (with a little secret added in) And I foil for 4-6 hours with coke or applej, then I let set for 1 hour in foil in a cooler, then pull it add a little juice from your foil and ask her who is your daddy now! LOL (unless you want to sleep in your bed tonight!) LOL O and I cook around 220-240
A water pan? or you set the butt in a pan of water?Thats a new one to me...:shock:

Huge thanks to all who have replied. I'll only change one thing at a time to see what makes the difference.

Kosmos, how much difference does your injection make?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is one of the reasons I foil.

I dump the collected juice into bowl and let the fat rise to the top. After skimming of the fat I pour the rest back into the already pulled pork.

I have had good luck with the wrapping it in foil after it gets to 165. then cooking to 185 let rest for 30 min. I save all the juice and let my guest put it on the pulled pork if they want.

A water pan? or you set the butt in a pan of water?Thats a new one to me...:shock:

Sorry, it was early that morning. I meant I use a pan of water above the coals to help with the moist thing. LOL I used foil about 4.5 hours into it that day and added coke to help with the juices to. I was cooking 17lbs of pork shoulder.

I'm really shocked by this. And I'm a little shocked by all the suggestions to foil or pan. While that can probably make a difference, I've never in the dozen+ butts I've done in the last year had to do this to get moist pork.

I did two this weekend, one with Chris Lilly's injection and without an injection. Both butts were smoked at 240* on my UDS w/ 16" TC pot deflector for about 14 hours. No fuss. No foil. No pan. I started probing for doneness around 12 hours at 195* and pulled when the probed like butter THROUGHOUT the butt, not just the money muscle and a few other spots. (The spot in the middle on the opposite side of the fat cap seems to take much longer and is always a little dryer if pulled too soon). Then I let rest for about 3 hours in the cooler. Very moist.

I pulled them about 1.5 hours apart, but I don't think the injection made much of a difference in the juiciness. Apple juice is going to drip / boil out it adds flavor, but I think the juice is coming from the fat. At least that is the good juice. :-D

I have had good luck with the wrapping it in foil after it gets to 165. then cooking to 185 let rest for 30 min. I save all the juice and let my guest put it on the pulled pork if they want.

185? I'd let 'er rip till she probes like butter, and 185 isn't gonna be there. I don't pay attention to internal temps with butts, and certainly don't waste expensive foil for a butt till the resting period.

Oh, and 3-4 hours of rest is required (by me) on all butts/picnics.

In regard to cooking temp, I doubt the thermometer in your WSM is showing an accurate reading of what's happening in the center of cooking grate. My guess is it's showing 40-50 degrees lower than grate temp.

I tend to agree with --K--, all that voodoo, foilin, spritzin, moppin', etc, is extending the cook time, which will open the door for dry meat. I like to toss meat on, drink lots of wobbly pops, listen for the meat to quiet down (you can hear it cooking), then start checking for buttah.

Try cooking at 250 for first hour, then ramping up heat to 300. The process is shortened, and that lowers the chances of a dry result. Yeah, I know, the low and slow folks will be sayin "WTF?", but a faster cook will give a chance for a moister result (less time in heat, but higher pressure since you're not peekin.... EVAR).

Fat renders the same at 300 as it does at 225, the only difference is you get more sleep.

Back