Very Long Wait.Commando Dry Aging...pics

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
She has been in the fridge for 4 days.I will do a comparison cook in thirds.Cook 1/3 at 45 days,1/3 at 60 days and the last cook at 75 days just to compare and determine which I prefer.Last one I did was 50 sumthin days and was Divine.I just want to see how long it takes to get to the aged point I prefer.Some say 40 is the sweet spot and I know one guy that went 100 days.

100_4070.jpg

Looking forward to finding out. I wish Hernando was on the other side of the state. I'd volunteer to tast test!

Looking forward to finding out. I wish Hernando was on the other side of the state. I'd volunteer to tast test!

I've been to NOLA a few times,nothin wrong with you stoppin by here! You could come to Memphis and eat some Tourist Trap Q then stop by on your way home!:laugh:

I have never done this. Steaks 4 days in my regular fridge wrapped not cyro'd and I have a lot of gray beginning.

What temp is the fridge? It looks unwrapped is that how it stays, seems it would dry out? I will be watching this thread for progress.

Looking forward to the results! Based on what (little) I know, your simple approach seems to me to be the right way to go. I'm a huge fan of simple.

I did a prime rib for a few weeks, just sat it on a cutting board, had the fridge (the less traveled fridge in the garage) down low, can't remember what temp - 34 or 36?. Anyway, it turned out farking fantastic! I need to do that again soon...so much food...so little time...

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1625314 said:
It looks unwrapped is that how it stays, seems it would dry out?

That's sort of the point.

Two major factors of dry aging. One to get enzymes working on breaking down and tenderizing the meat. Two to have that moisture loss which will intensify the flavor...just like reducing a sauce on the stovetop...you evaporate the water and are left with intense flavor.

Did you weigh it before you started? It would be interesting to see how much weight was lost to evaporation during the process.

Sooooo, whatcha doin' mid June neighbor?:-D

Seriously, this will be a good thread to keep up with. :thumb:

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1625314 said:
I have never done this. Steaks 4 days in my regular fridge wrapped not cyro'd and I have a lot of gray beginning.

What temp is the fridge? It looks unwrapped is that how it stays, seems it would dry out? I will be watching this thread for progress.

It is much easier to dry age a primal than steaks.I would only attempt to wet age steaks in a vaccum sealed bag.The primal will dry only about 1/4 inch deep,the rest will be moist.The fridge is set at 35 degrees F.For what it's worth,I DO NOT trim the dry part off,that is the point of dry aging.If you trim it,you may as well just wet age it.

That's sort of the point.

Two major factors of dry aging. One to get enzymes working on breaking down and tenderizing the meat. Two to have that moisture loss which will intensify the flavor...just like reducing a sauce on the stovetop...you evaporate the water and are left with intense flavor.

You hit the nail on the head.:thumb:

It is much easier to dry age a primal than steaks.I would only attempt to wet age steaks in a vaccum sealed bag.The primal will dry only about 1/4 inch deep,the rest will be moist.The fridge is set at 35 degrees F.For what it's worth,I DO NOT trim the dry part off,that is the point of dry aging.If you trim it,you may as well just wet age it.

I do steaks all the time but only up to about 7-10 days. Like you I keep them on a rack and the fridge about 37 degrees. One of the things I would stress is you shouldn't do this in the kitchen fridge, it needs to be in a fridge that is rarely opened. If I go in there 3 times a week that would be a lot
I've done larger cuts, not primals though. and only for 45 days tops. I've never heard of anyone going up to 100 days like you said.

Cut it into thirds now so you have equal pieces dry aging for different times. It will be easier to compare.:thumb:

Back