MSG & Catering Question

S

Smoker

Does anyone who caters use rub with MSG in it or is it best to avoid it when people are paying you money for your food?

Most of my rubs don't have MSG but I've never sweated it in the past. Usually, if someone has an MSG sensitivity or phobia they'll tell you up front.

For the very small pct of folks (its like one in 10,000)who have actual allergy to MSG, I'm totally sympathetic. The the phobia folks, fark 'em. It's a natural food product derived form wheat or soybeans, does what it's advertised to do, enhances flavors and doesn't hurt anything.
If the rub you usually use/make contains it, I'd continue to use it unless you have specific customer requests due to a real medical condition.

The wife gets violently ill when she eats msg... its a short lasting intense headache that first ruins the meal, then immediatly following, ruins the mood. At times it will close up her throat, or her lips and tounge get swollen.. I check virtually EVERYTHING I make for it, but there are times its in a component in "something else"... that i added.. I call it 3rd part MSG... Its not listed in the ingriedents, but soy sauce is.. and its in the soy sauce.. Chineese restaurants are notorious.. The menus say "no msg added".. thats why we went there... When she had a reaction at this restaurant last year, The chef says "oh, we dont ADD it, but it is allready in alot of the stuff we use". Very farking nice..

I think its a bit of a risk that can be sidestepped.
IMO, its unnecessary, and risky feeding it to an unknown crowd. Msg reactions are not uncommon. .. I have never used it in any of my stuff, and never heard someome say "pass the Msg".... Some salt is enuf.

Google "msg reactions". You'll be amazed at the stuff it can cause.

BTW, msg reactions is not an "allergy'..Its a reaction to a protein released when ingested. It wont show up on allergy tests.

just my .02 avoid it... who needs the extra sodium taste to begin with.. go natural as possible ...then ya dont have to worry/ask about clients, or for that matter, potential future clients.. all ya need is one person witha bad reaction, or someone shooting their mouths of about how salty everything tasted and ya could be filling yer last chafing dish

I do. I'll feed 300 next week, third year, nobody has had any problems.
I use it all the time with no apology. If asked I'll tell them, but I rarely get asked.

Somebody is buying those giant containers of Accent at Sam's too.

drbbq said:
I do. I'll feed 300 next week, third year, nobody has had any problems.
I use it all the time with no apology. If asked I'll tell them, but I rarely get asked.

Somebody is buying those giant containers of Accent at Sam's too.

When and where Ray?

"Will drive for great food" :grin:
Need a dishwasher? :grin: :grin:

TIM

This is a timely thread. Just yesterday, A group of us were discussing the merits of MSG and I said that I liked it, but that I did not add it to food for fear of people having a bad reaction. My wife of course, accused me of being argumentative, and that nobody could really like MSG. Go figure.

never--wife gets sick from it. we won't even eat at Chineese rest. or use Soy sauce at home.

Common theme wife or she has a reaction, Hmmmm?
It is in some of my rubs and have never had anyone react to it, if they ask and if I used one of those rubs I will let them know that there is some in the rub.

Competition judges must have no problem cause they would be dropping like flys.

I don't put it in any of my rubs for competition because I simply don't use it in a rub I do for myself.

Sawdustguy said:
I don't put it in any of my rubs for competition because I simply don't use it in a rub I do for myself.

Phil, you once told me that "MSG is your friend" at contests. Do you still use it like you advised me at the Royal?

yes, i use it at contests in small amounts on some cooked products.. With the extent of MSG used in commercial rubs, any BBQ judge who has a problem wit msg is goinna have it anyway.. Im not concerned about the reaction there becase its in so much stuff anyway.

i stray away from it in general cooking becase of the wife. When she has those reactions it ruins the meal and really pisses her off, which ruins everything else. Especially if it says NO MSG... if u read up on the MSG reactaion.. its not only MSGS, but other "glut" products too that can cause it.

Msg is almost impossible to avoid. Almost any manufactured food is going to have it, soups, broth, lunch meats, cake mixes, malt extract, lunch meats, salad dressings, dips canned and frozen meats, foul and fish. Not to mention all the natural sources....milk, eggs, beef, peas, corn, tomatoes, mushrooms....

I'm a bit skeptical when people explain how deathly ill they get when the have the tiniest bit of msg

Back