Kudu Grills

FTTH

Knows what a fatty is.
Does anyone have experience cooking on a Kudu? It looks like a lot of fun and pretty versatile for an open fire type grill.

Does anyone have experience cooking on a Kudu? It looks like a lot of fun and pretty versatile for an open fire type grill.

Googled them and your right, they look fun

Yep pretty cool. I could see owning something like this in my next life when I have to leave the Santa Maria behind.

I like the idea that its relatively portable, can be used as a firepit, to grill on and used for Dutch oven cooking. They’ve got a nice series of videos on YouTube.

Yeah the difference with the 007 if Im not mistaken is that it’s flat bottomed and only 5 inches deep and 24 inches around. That way you can cook directly over the coals and adjust up as well as sit a Dutch oven(s) on the coals simultaneously if desired. It would be great to take camping. I was hoping someone has experience cooking on one. I’d be interested to know what sort of limitations or drawbacks it has. I’ve seen only one non affiliated reviewer.

Get this from HD. $199. You can't beat it for the price. Heavier gauge steele (3/16" IIRC). Only thing I didn't care for were the expanded metal greats but for the $ you can't complain. It's a very solid product.

PS It's 31" in diameter

YRyetKSh.jpg

MAKQdFBh.jpg

y5Zioa9h.jpg

XVgTj0ah.jpg

Last edited:
Sako, the Kudu is considerably higher off the ground and more functional as a cooker due to its 48" height, but it doesn't have the surface area the cowboy grill has, which for me, is a firepit anyway before I would consider it as an actual cooker/grill. Just my $.01...

Get this from HD. $199. You can't beat it for the price. Heavier gauge steele (3/16" IIRC). Only thing I didn't care for were the expanded metal greats but for the $ you can't complain. It's a very solid product.

PS It's 31" in diameter

Yeah I thought the same thing initially, but the Kudu is flat bottomed without a fixed grate over the coals making cooking directly on the coals and above the coals simultaneously possible. The legs make it so you don’t bend over and are adjustable for uneven ground plus they are removable like all the other components which make it portable. Multiple cooking surfaces can be added and used at the same time. Of course it is twice as expensive as the cowboy which makes the purchase something that has to be carefully thought through. I like to know from someone whose used it is if it’s a practicle cooker for more than 4 adults.

Awesome Moose. Did you get the fire ring too?id like your thoughts on simultaneous cooks. Is there enough exposure to the coals to use multiple floating grates at the same time? Does t appear durable? What would you guess the thickness of the metal is? I’m close to pulling the trigger on this.

Awesome Moose. Did you get the fire ring too?id like your thoughts on simultaneous cooks. Is there enough exposure to the coals to use multiple floating grates at the same time? Does t appear durable? What would you guess the thickness of the metal is? I’m close to pulling the trigger on this.

I didn't get the fire ring. If you have enough fuel, there's plenty of heat to juggle two grates at the same time.

The KUDU is plenty durable, and while I'm not sure what the exact thickness of the pit is, it's thick enough to handle super high heat.

I'm working on a full review which will go up this week. I really like this cooker. It produced the best Roadside chicken I've ever made on its maiden voyage!

I just saw on Jeff Bannister's Instagram that if you order a KUDU grill put in the code "RHINO" and you'll get a free T-shirt with your order. That grill looks amazing but in high wind situations I think it'll be much less effective and almost a safety hazard.

Back