What do you baste/mop your ribs with?

We don't. Sorry, can't help. A lot of folk do so I am sure someone will chime in here. Well, I lied a little. If I am craving a little Carolina taste, maybe apple juice with a some apple cider vinegar.

I always spray mine with 1/2 apple juice 1/4 apple cider and 1/4 water mixture spray it every hour, seems to come out well I was stationed in East North Carolina I was always taught there was no other way...

I do not mop my ribs very often but when I do this is what I use;

·[FONT=&quot] Mop Sauce: [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 cup apple cider [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 tablespoon onion powder [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 tablespoon garlic powder [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 2 tablespoons lemon juice [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped [/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] 3 tablespoons Franks extra hot sauce
[/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste[/FONT]

I assume you are asking about the tool not the goo...

I use a silicone brush for applying mop or sauce if I am not worried about disturbing the rub, if I am, then I use a sprayer and just spray stuff on.

In general, I do not mop as I am a believer that if you have to cooker open you are messing with the cooking. I will glaze though.

Any certain type of of brush or mop you prefer? I need a new one.

Hey guys sorry I may have been a little confusing.... I am looking for the actual tool that you like to use with your sauce or glaze. What mop or brush?

Oooops! My bad.

I use a silicone brush mop brush that has a bulb attached to put the mop liquid in. I do not remember where I bought it but it has worked very well for several years.

HOWDY NEIGHBOR!!!!

I prefer my ribs wet. Sticky, dripping, YUMMY wet.
So I use a mop. A cheap mop I got at Lowe's or Menards or HD or somewhere. Can't seem to find a photo of it. It's a small one, but it's perfect for what I need. Picks up just enough sauce to fully glaze one rack of ribs.

I like to glaze mine about 10 minutes before pulling so I get this.....
IMG_1168.jpg

I use a mop to baste during the cook and a silicone brush to finish with.

Don't ask me why I do it that way, just seems to be a pattern I've fallen into.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dex
Another fan of a silicone brush to brush on either Blues Hog or Head Country sauce.

Wampus, them are some fine lookin' ribs!

• Thanks
Alright, so I ran out and snapped a pic of the mop I have.....
IMG_1573.jpg

I prefer the mop because it allows me to quickly mop multiple racks of ribs without keeping the smoker open for too long. On the UDS (where I typically do ribs) if I keep the lid off too long, the heat can really get up there. Since I've got a big family, I'm usually doing 3,4 or 6 racks at a time. If I had to do them all with my silicone brush (granted, I only have like a 1" brush) the fire'd be ragin by the time I was done. I can mop 4 racks of ribs in about 8-10 seconds.

When I'm done mopping, I just soak it in hot water, then SPRAY with hot water, then sometimes put in the dishwasher.

• Thanks
I have recently stopped mopping in the interest of keeping the cooker closed. I was worried about the meat getting dry but it has not been a problem at all. But when I did mop, I used one of those little cotton mops and also a silicon brush.

• Thanks
Back