What is the best upright/water smoker

Smokin' Gnome BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I know there are alot of opinions on this subject but I am looking to purchase a more complete upright unit. NO wrong answer. Please state why you like what you have and why, thanks!!:wink:

Wow, lots of good choices out there:

Spicewine
Stumps
Backwoods

I've cooked on 0 of them, but have heard very few complaints and tons of happy customers. I here more about the stumps and spicewines than the backwoods.

That being said I saw a Klose pitt one time that had the standard firebox and offset section but had a different upright box at the end of the offset.

It was similar to a BYC but larger and the vertical chamber had a slide out section where you could put a fire to cook directly in the box if you wanted too. I figure you could put a small charcoal basket and do a minion style cook in it. I always liked that design and if $$ were growing on trees I'd probaby spec one out with mr. klose.

There isn't a "best" one. I think Jay would even say that, but there are differences between the 3 main verticals. Backwoods, Stumps and Spicewine. You could also call a Fast Eddie a vertical, but with pellets. Personally I think I am buying a Spicewine with the price and Jay is a Brethren and a nice guy. That being said, I could see myself buying one of the others in a year or so too. There is also the Ole hickory CTO also, just to confuse things more.

The WSM!!!!!

Anything else is just trash talk.

:mrgreen:

JimT

I don't know if mine is best, but it's nice enough that I know want one twice the size.

Great feed back. I am shocked that only 1 said wsm and no one said BBQ GURU's Caldara. I live in PA and am afraid to ask what shipping would be on most of the others. Dave Klose hung out at my spot for a few hours at NewHolland Summerfest, I love his work, but again SHIPPING!!! As far as a water smoker what ever happened to Kingfisher. This is a great chance to speak your mind on what is out there. PLEASE help me b4 I buy another yard ornament!!THANKS again!!

Sal

SPICEWINE

for the money and size of the large nothing can compare

Sal - If price and transport are the issue, the WSM's can't be beat.

If you're looking to spend on something a bit more costly and more capacity in one cooker than several WSM's then the Spicewine, Backwoods or Stumps are good choices.

You're gonna get a lot of bias from the Spicewine owners(including me) because we like the product and had a great experience in dealing with Jay and team during the ordering and production process. I prefer the medium compared to the large unless you plan on doing very large cooks.

I've cooked next to several teams with Backwoods as well. Seem like solid cookers. Many teams do very well with them so it would be hard to say bad things. Biggest difference I see aside from the outward appearance is the materials. Compare weights for both of similar sizes what it tells me is that the Spicewines are better constructed/heavy duty for a longer life. I've only gotten to see the stumps in operation once at New Holland witrh the team next to me. Looked nice but I did not get to check it out too long.

As for shipping.....gotta plan with a couple of guys...I drove to KC to pick up a smoker and would do it again in a heart beat. and Spicewine is even closer!!! Saved a fair amount over shipping, got a road trip out of it. met KCqer and overall had a great time. Scott

price isnt really an issue for the right item (never should be), but I need to know why people like what they do. I dont want to pay a packing fee, should be included...shipping, most freight carriers discount shipping to frequent shippers...Anyway just want to buy what works and have a clue b4 I lay out the $$$$, thanks

I have nothing bad to say about any of the others but I will say I love my Stumps. I've had it for two years now and plan on moving up to one of his large horizontal GF units.

It is very solidly built, holds it's temps well and I really like the gravity feed feature. At a competition I will usually fire up the 223 at about 4:30 and shut her down at 1:30 the next day and I will only use about 10lbs of lump.

Some folks consider it a set it and forget it smoker but I don't. You still need to keep an eye on the temp because it will change if wind conditions change and you still need to add wood for your smoke flavor.

Now, the new Stumps come with a built in Guru so they are pretty much set it and forget it but you will still need to add wood.

price isnt really an issue for the right item (never should be), but I need to know why people like what they do. I dont want to pay a packing fee, should be included...shipping, most freight carriers discount shipping to frequent shippers...Anyway just want to buy what works and have a clue b4 I lay out the $$$$, thanks

Sal - You're gonna get positive comments on all of them from the owners who have them.

They all work. Top teams will on all three and I'm sure there are a few bad cooks using all three as well. It's learning how to use the cooker that's important.

Once you know what capacity you are looking for and any critical features, it's probably worth making a few phone calls to the companies to see if you can pick their brain a bit about why they believe their product is special. I know Jay won't say anything negative about others but I am sure he can tell you why he thinks his cookers are special.

Does a picture says 1000 words ??

Last edited:
I know there are alot of opinions on this subject but I am looking to purchase a more complete upright unit. NO wrong answer. Please state why you like what you have and why, thanks!!:wink:

I read your question carefully.

You say you are ready to purchase a "more complete upright unit". I tried to discern what that might mean. I am going to interpet that as wanting a larger capacity, higher quality vertical. I also interpret that you want one unit, not a series of smaller ones (a la some WSMs).

Based on what I have seen first hand, I do not believe the quality of materials on a Spicewine can be beat, period. These things could serve as bomb shelters. They are well built, from stout materials, and that translates to the cooking. With no effort, I kept mine at 6 hours the first time out, and I know I could have extended that duration significantly if that is what I was shooting for.

The trays are sturdy, well designed and provide ample cooking space. The fire is easy to manage. Clean up was easy.

Like many cookers, the Spicewines have their share of very succesful cooks. And we all can recite the mantra "it is the cook not the cooker", but for what it is worth, a lot of diverse folks have been having a lot of consistent success with Spicewine cookers recently.

I'm sorta partial to the WSM...but it depends on what you want to do with it. If it's for your personal use or to carry around to comps...you can't beat the price and versatility.:p

Back