Low-Carb/lean Recipes?

Keith Hess

Reaction score
Dropping some weight and I am in need of some low-carb/lean BBQ and grilling recipe's. I can use recipes for both lean proteins and low carb vegetables.

Most of my recipe's include tons of sugar and/or cut's of meat that are high in fat. I have tried to adapt a couple of them by cutting out sugars and fats. But so far not much luck.

I am looking for recipes for lean proteins like fish/shellfish, game meat, poultry, lean beef, lamb, pork chops or tenderloins, egg whites, veggie burgers, and tofu.

I have to avoid sugars and fats, no bacon :(

I appreciate any help you can offer.

I'm in the same boat. right now it's LOTS of chicken and fish.

good ole spatchcocked chicken is easy, so is chicken breast. and Salmon is always a fan favorite.

I'm in the same boat. right now it's LOTS of chicken and fish.

good ole spatchcocked chicken is easy, so is chicken breast. and Salmon is always a fan favorite.

Yeah I have been doing plenty of the same thing... seasoned and grilled... I am just really missing my more elaborate BBQ meats... right now, I am trying to figure out a no-guilt pulled pork using pork tenderloin instead of shoulder...

I am also experimenting with making a Carolina style vinegar bbq sauce that uses artificial sweetener instead of sugar...

Look up the Primal Diet and go eat some high fat meats!!! Love this way of life style eating. But yes you need to watch the sugar(s) especially in rubs and sauces.

Look up the Primal Diet and go eat some high fat meats!!! Love this way of life style eating. But yes you need to watch the sugar(s) especially in rubs and sauces.

I did the ultra low-carb/high fat diet, started that last fall. It worked, I lost 24 lbs. But then the weight loss just stalled out and I was just maintaining the same weight for about 2 months. So I just switched it up about 3 weeks ago to a diet that allows moderately low carb, lean proteins, meal replacements, and you eat 6 small meals a day instead of my usual 2-3 large meals. Now I am losing again...

Use leaner cuts of meat to cook(example pork sirloin roast instead of butts for pulled pork).
Cut down on the amount of sauce you use. Don't have to quit using it, just use less
If you make your own sauce try honey instead of sugar for a sweetener
If you don't make your own sauce avoid the ones that use corn syrup
Instead of corn and potatoes, try green beans or broccoli cooked on the stove or even a salad for side order(be careful here because a lot of the wrong dressing will make the salad not that great a choice)

For pork, use pork loins. Grilled salmon ( I could personally eat everyday), grilled chicken breast, if you crave beef, go for sirloin instead of ribeye's.

Green beans, any type of bean, because they are high in fiber, green pea's, for side dishes. Stray away from corn, potato's, and any high starch type of vegetable.

for sauces, substitute stevia or zylotal (alcohal sugar). Agave syrup is supposed to be a little healthier than honey, but use sparingly.

I do the paleo/primal thing as well. During the week, I eat very clean. I follow the 80/20 rule(Four unrestricted but commonsense meals), as it would be damn near impossible to BBQ/Grill without using some high-sugar stuff. I've got a few recipes for an all natural/unrefined sauces and marinades, but I've yet to implement them, as I don't have all of the ingredients, and some stuff is a bit pricey at first buy. You didn't mention if you work-out or not. I know it's a bit trendy, but Crossfit/body weight exercises work extremely well with a high-fat/high protein/low carbohydrate diet. I'm doing Max Capacity Training right now. Three workouts a week, 16 minutes a piece. I really enjoy it. I've actually put weight on since I've started, but I've slimmed down noticeably.

Tough to do low fat low carb with success. Got to have one or the other. High fat, high protien, very low carb works great with BBQ.

292 to 225 in 14 months

Dr. Gott's "no flour, no sugar no processed foods" book
Dr Joel Furman "eat to live" book

Beans, greens, vegetables nuts, seeds, all meats and sea food grilled boiled or baked.

Read the labels (or avoid food with labels all together). Low sugar beer. Miller lite and Mick Ultra. Bud 55 is lower but my taste buds can't taste it. There are hidden sugars every where.

Goodbye anything that comes in a box a can or cellophane.
If you have or suspect you have or haven't been in a while get you blood sugar tested as it will drop dramatically eating this way. Get a physical and tell your Doc what your about to do. He may want to monitor your blood work. There is actually a Doctor in Lubbock that when blood sugar cholesterol HBP first shows up will hand a copy of the book Eat to Live to his patients and three prescription. He tells them "your choice, go to pharmacy get prescriptions and die young, or read and live by this book". Your choice. I live by the book.

Pork rinds make a great alternative to tater chips...

As to recipes, I'd just do a regular search for lo carb on Allrecipes.com or some place. Almost ANY recipe that calls for an oven, stove top or slow cooker can be adapted to your smoker/grill.

I'd sooner die Fat & Happy than Skinny & Miserable, I wish you luck I hear boiled low cal water is the miracle food for weight loss.:caked:

I guess if you get run over by a truck on a beer run you may die fat and happy. Diabetes patients lose limbs, eyesight non healing wounds gangrene etc etc and any injury slow to heal if it doesnt kill you. Doesn't sound like a happy good time to me. But right now I'm the only one eating weird in my family and the only non diabetic as well

Today's menu:

Breakfast five fruit/vegetable smoothie
Lunch:Charro beans and chopped blue cheese salad
Supper: fresh halibut on the grill with asparagus and squash
3-4 Miller Lite

I don't exactly starve. Grilling and smoking goes great with the no flour no sugar no processed food way of eating.

Last edited:
The two books I recommended have about 100 combined recipes. Paleo books a plethora. One poster recommended allrecipes.com

Oh well. Goodbye

nobody has any recipes?

Google is your friend.
As Guerry said.....it's all out there. Go to a recipe site and search for low carb.

I just started on a "slow carb" diet so I'm also gonna be looking for stuff like this, but no recipes off the top of my head right now.

Did some grilled chicken breasts last night, sliced and put it on a nice green salad. I'm gonna get into some feesh too. Love grilled feesh.

I guess if you get run over by a truck on a beer run you may die fat and happy. Diabetes patients lose limbs, eyesight non healing wounds gangrene etc etc and any injury slow to heal if it doesnt kill you. Doesn't sound like a happy good time to me. But right now I'm the only one eating weird in my family and the only non diabetic as well

Today's menu:

Breakfast five fruit/vegetable smoothie
Lunch:Charro beans and chopped blue cheese salad
Supper: fresh halibut on the grill with asparagus and squash
3-4 Miller Lite

I don't exactly starve. Grilling and smoking goes great with the no flour no sugar no processed food way of eating.
I see you haven't given up grain so much for no sugar and no flour.

I belong to this site here http://forum.lowcarber.org/ too. Many recipes in some of the links, I dropped 85#s a few years ago doing low carb. Ditch the sugar, flour and potatoes. Learn to like Michelob ultra and bourbon :).

Look at the way Mexicans cook proteins like beans and chicken and fish.
Incredibly tasty and low low fat, no sugars or creams.
I mean real Mexican, not Texican.

I call BS on the comment that you can't enjoy bbq without sugar.
We have a whole nation doing it.
Sugar offers a single element, sweetness, and at the cost of 80%+ flavour masking.
Cook side by side and flavour the meat as usual but no sugar.
Now add a sweet sauce to one and you will note all the rub and seasoning and complexity disappears.
So, it is an addiction to sweetness that is the obstacle, and I far prefer great flavours and complexity that a simple sweetness.
Ill save that for ice cream.

Good luck everyone, it's a hard thing!

Back