SpiceWay’s tasty Chicken Shawarma blend

charcoalwilly

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
There have been quite a few posts here about Chicken Shawarma. Many brethren seem to like the Recipetineats recipe below:
https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-sharwama-middle-eastern/

If you’re lazy like me and prefer a pre-made spice rub, you may want to check out The SpiceWay brand Shawarma Blend. Very tasty coriander-cumin combo along with hyssop and sumac, which are two hard-to-find Middle Eastern spices. Their Kebab Blend seasoning is another favorite of mine, but without the electric yellow turmeric color of the Shawarma blend. My family loves them both.

Neither blend is going to knock you over the head in a big & bold sort of way. The flavors are subtle to the point where I avoid drowning them out with the typical shawarma white sauce. Note that these are no-salt rubs. You can buy them direct or on Amazon.

https://thespiceway.com/products/shawarma-spice-blend?variant=20275615203421

https://thespiceway.com/products/kebab-seasoning?variant=30407633207389

Here is simple recipe I use for the marinade paste. We like to pair it with Near East brand Chicken Rice Pilaf for a quick weekday meal.

6-8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (depending on size)
3 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 Cup plain Greek yogurt (optional, but highly recommend)
1-2 tsp salt (depending your tastes)
2 TBL of Shawarma (or Kebab) seasoning
Olive oil (enough to thin the paste)

Rub the paste into all the nooks and crannies and then marinate for at least 4-5 hours. Make sure to oil your grill grates well because the paste will want to stick to the grates.

SpiceWay has a lot of different spices. I can also vouch for the Aleppo Pepper, Sumac and Zaatar. However, both the Tikka Masala and Chimichurri blends were disappointing. All in all, very good quality and something a bit different.

9826D6CF-5875-4993-A4C7-20D57A9E433D.jpg
32BEB7B9-0C21-42A2-826B-4B76F25A46D3.jpg
90DB6C1F-0750-45C8-9199-54DD935C9836.jpg

Updated to include the white sauce. I have tried a couple of recipes including the Recipeineats one, but found them too thick. The recipe below is closer to some of the shawarma food trucks like the famous Halal Guys in NYC. A bit thinner, lighter and more tangy. It’s still a work in progress.

Let me know if you have a different white sauce recipe that you really like.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 TBL white vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp white sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt to taste
Touch of hot sauce

Chicken Schawarma

Hey guys - tried this recipe tonight. This was fantastic. Wife decided to pair the chicken with a grilled vegetable and bread salad on the gas grill. I initially used the white sauce recipe included from the recipetineats website, but we both really preferred the white sauce recipe posted by Charcoalwilly above. This one is a keeper and will be used for company! Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpg
    IMG_3145.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3146.jpg
    IMG_3146.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3147.jpg
    IMG_3147.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 58
I had some truly excellent Zaatar flavored "pita'like" bread in Dubai. Finding similar spices to recreate here has been hard.

I never would have thought I would try to recreate the bread from a relatively cheap quick eats shop that was McDonald's like. Naan and Pita no problem, Arabic and Mideast options are a whole different level of difficulty due to access to spices!

Hey guys - tried this recipe tonight. This was fantastic. Wife decided to pair the chicken with a grilled vegetable and bread salad on the gas grill. I initially used the white sauce recipe included from the recipetineats website, but we both really preferred the white sauce recipe posted by Charcoalwilly above. This one is a keeper and will be used for company! Thanks.

Glad you liked it Jason! Love the grilled vegetables pairing. I need to try that.

I had some truly excellent Zaatar flavored "pita'like" bread in Dubai. Finding similar spices to recreate here has been hard.

I never would have thought I would try to recreate the bread from a relatively cheap quick eats shop that was McDonald's like. Naan and Pita no problem, Arabic and Mideast options are a whole different level of difficulty due to access to spices!

Sid Post - That Zaatar is such an unusual taste. It’s definitely growing on me. Let me know if think SpiceWay’s version of the Zaatar compares favorably to the real deal or if there is another brand you like.

How did they flavor the bread in Dubai with the Zaatar? Baked on top? Or mixed in the bread dough? I need to work on my bread skills.

Back