Bricks and Mortar? (Long)

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
You guys know we cater a bunch. We have a couple of expansion opportunities and I'd like your feedback..........you may have no idea where Washington MO is, so comments on the concept only are great. The Labadie / Biker thing is LITERALLY turn key. All I have to bring is my smoker and the place is mine for $1,000 a month with a full kitchen and bar. There is a powerplant nearby and a THRIVING fine dining place. My buddies wife had a wine bar in it that failed.

Will people get tired of BBQ if they get it regularly near my current every other week vending spot? Would it be more of a treat for them to drive 20 minutes to a quaint spot or out of a trailer on a lot like we do now?

I need to ponder this and I do know where Washington Missouri is located... hehe

I think if there is a difference in the experience, there is definitely a possibility that you will get both old and new customers. I assume you are talking sit down, nice ambiance, some table service etc...

My experience that a lot of people do not get tired of a consistent menu with food that they like a lot. I think BBQ fits into that concept quite nicely. It can take time though.

I think if there is a difference in the experience, there is definitely a possibility that you will get both old and new customers. I assume you are talking sit down, nice ambiance, some table service etc...

My experience that a lot of people do not get tired of a consistent menu with food that they like a lot. I think BBQ fits into that concept quite nicely. It can take time though.

Turn of the century building, wraparound porch, big deck, indoor seating for 30, galley kitchen with convection oven, fridge, freezer, panini press, pizza oven, sinks, plates, glasses, tables, chairs, parking for 16 cars plus a bank across the street, whole deal. Place to park one of my pits near the kitchen door and have it visible to the lot. Paved lot. Beer cooler, all appliances top quality and new. Folks that re-habbed it have money and went first class. Hardwood floors, exposed beams, subtle colors. A dream come true if you ask me, and they will do a 6 month lease to see if it takes off. 30 minutes from St. Louis, on a scenic 2 lane, near several antique shops. Owner of antique shop says we will kill (we cater for her, so she may be biased). I put a note out to my "people" to see how hard it will be to fill our work schedule and maintain our catering activity.

Man, that does sound good, especially the 6 month lease

It sounds good, especially with the 6 month lease. If you think the traffic is there from the powerplant and the road, which it sounds like it is with the thriving restaurant and you think you can make it work go for it. I hope it all works out for you.

I think it sounds like a great opportunity! As long as it doesn't prevent you from having your BBQ/Catering Class this year... :p

Actually it might help your catering business. But on the other side of the coin lot of restruants don't make it.

Why did the wine bar fail?

And is that reason at all applicable to your business?

we were in Mexico Mo yesterday at lunch time and the small Bbq place there was fairly busy, meaning the parking lot was full and the restaurant was 2/3 full. I know Washington is a lot bigger than Mexico but I would think that unless there is another BBQ place there that seems like an awfully tempting offer.
Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide, we travel that way quite a bit and are always looking for a new place to eat, especially good barbecue.

we were in Mexico Mo yesterday at lunch time and the small Bbq place there was fairly busy, meaning the parking lot was full and the restaurant was 2/3 full. I know Washington is a lot bigger than Mexico but I would think that unless there is another BBQ place there that seems like an awfully tempting offer.
Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide, we travel that way quite a bit and are always looking for a new place to eat, especially good barbecue.

We have a Bandanas, and it SUCKS. Not very busy. I do more on a Saturday vending then they do in 2 Saturdays.

Ambiance is for winner! There is a Place in Kirkwood that is a Highend resturant that is run out of a house. Cant remember the name off hand. Oh Wait Citizen Kane's I would think you could run catering out of there as well. I think I would not limit to BBQ but it be on the main for front. Big enough for private parties too... Are youi going to sell Liquor?

Give me the number I'll do it. Just kiddin. I think you ought to do it. You going to give up your job?
Washington is bigger than Troy I get a lot if repeat business. Lots of traffic through Washington also. Lots of up side.

Sounds like your initial concern was "will people get tired of BBQ if they already get it from me every other week".

Seems like this is an opportunity to create a different menu / style using the same base ingredients that has already made you a hit. You don't have to stray too far out of your comfort zone to modify portions of the menu to add some change while still keeping the basic BBQ that is already a hit.

I see bbq pizza and panini's in the future as an example. This might be a little too left coast for your area but you get the idea.

A store front like this is also an opportunity to start selling your sauce and rub. The commercial kitchen on site will allow for bottling that stuff up without the cost of using a commercial kitchen off site. If it goes good, then you can get it co-packed and you have another revenue stream. It will also get it off the ground where you might not be thinking of it vending - then it adds to the vending business as well.

Plus the vending will drive business to the store and the store will drive business to catering.

Back