Comfort food derivative last night!

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I did a variation on smothered steak last night.

Got some nice cubed steaks (round steak machine tenderized) and browned them in a little oil/canola oil...removed them from the pan, and sauteed some onion and garlic...made a simple rouxe and then made the gravy with beef broth and just a touch of marsala (all I had wine-wise other than some cooking sherry)...added some baby portabellas mushrooms and let it reduce a bit...slid the browned steaks back into the pan for about 15 minutes.

On the side I did sauteed yellow squash and onions and also a pan of fried cabbage...

All southern type comfort foods and pretty easy on our diets, too.

Yum-O Chad. That sounds like some good groceries. Most definititely Southern comfort food.

I'm thinking cured pork chops with roasted root veggies and baked sweet potato for tonight.

My wife is down with a really crappy cold/sinus infection...comfort food seems to be the way to go!!

That all sounds good! Just curious if the Marsala brought a little sweetness to the sauce, and if you would use it again.....

backyardchef said:
That all sounds good! Just curious if the Marsala brought a little sweetness to the sauce, and if you would use it again.....

Oh yeah...I only used a "splash" but it was noticable...I had the leftovers for lunch today and it was still pretty nice.

I'd use it again. I didn't have anything else in the house except for the cooking sherry and beer -- neither seemed right at the time.

Marsala is a favorite here when making a sauce for beef. I've splurged at Central Market and picked up some good stuff that is worth every penny. I do a brown sauce and then add some for filet mignon, as well as an open face hamburger with mushrooms added to the sauce.

A burgundy would work, but the Marsala is perfect.

Chad I am working on almost the same thing for my new menu kind of an upscale smothered steak. Sounds great what do you put in your cabbage?

I hadn't thought of cubed steaks in a while. My mom used to cook them with worcestershire sauce and spices, and we'd have them. I still like them a lot. Simple, nothing fancy. I may have to get them for tonight's dinner.

Wine & Swine said:
Chad I am working on almost the same thing for my new menu kind of an upscale smothered steak. Sounds great what do you put in your cabbage?

I crisped some bacon, removed the bacon, sauteed a few onions, added the cabbage -- cooked hot enough to get some carmelization...salt/pepper and cover to finish "steaming" the cabbage...add the bacon back at the end.

Pork fat rules!!

chad said:
I crisped some bacon, removed the bacon, sauteed a few onions, added the cabbage -- cooked hot enough to get some carmelization...salt/pepper and cover to finish "steaming" the cabbage...add the bacon back at the end.

Pork fat rules!!

Except for the bacon, that's how I always cook my cabbage. I just use olive oil instead and add garlic to the onions. A little cayenne never hurts either...

chad said:

Pork fat rules!!

You stole my Mom's recipe!:shock:

Of course, it was everyone else's Mom's recipe too.:mrgreen:

That, though, is exactly the way I learned to do it, and it is still my favorite way to do cabbage.
To put it "over the top" I sometimes add a little heavy whipping cream toward the end of the cooking.

We've been using an olive oil/canola blend lately...I added a little to the squash pan and the cabbage pan to "stretch" the bacon grease!!

I usually eat my cabbage like "greens" with pepper seasoned vinegar.

Back