BBQ Brethren "Sweet and Spicy" Throwdown!

edit_preview.php

Beautiful Mongo :eusa_clap

I love habanero I will gladly take the remaining sauce off your hands. :pray:

My first attempt for this TD was filed in the fail category. I've been retooling and actually had habaneros on my shopping list.

Hmmm what do :decision:I may have to change it up again.

Great to see you back brother.

Lookin' good Mongo! You gotta get me the recipe for that slaw, my wife's been asking for an Asian inspired slaw for some time now. It might make her think I actually listen to her once in a while. :)

Made this a short while back...after this category was announced. Inspired by a couple year old post by bbqgrail...Sweet and Spicy Drumsticks ("chicken legs" in a red hot candy and cinnamon whiskey glaze).

Here's the thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145394&highlight=redhot+chix

Assembled our ingredients...
014.jpg

013.jpg

Gave the drumsticks a soak and a buttermilk/SM Sweet & Spicy (hey, what else do you use for a sweet and spicy throwdown) marinade...
021.jpg

Katie helped on this cook quite a bit...
039.jpg

031.jpg

Glaze consisted of red hots candy, apple juice, sugar, pectin and Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey ("tastes like heaven, burns like hell")
036.jpg

Used our fancy rack for the "chicken legs"
046.jpg

062.jpg

Once cooked we dunked them in the glaze, drizzled a bit more over the top and sprinkled on a few more red hots...
067.jpg

Here's our pic for the entry...
068.jpg

Was some good stuff! Kids loved it (big an little ones)!! Ate that stuff up!!
074.jpg

Will do this again, for sure. Was definitely a "sweet" glaze...may try to ramp up the spice just a bit. I'm thinkin' Hot Tamales...

Bonus: used some of the leftover glaze on some vanilla ice cream...
078.jpg

Added a little more of the whiskey and gave 'er a stir. A nice sweet and spicy shake...
092.jpg

Lookin' good Mongo! You gotta get me the recipe for that slaw, my wife's been asking for an Asian inspired slaw for some time now. It might make her think I actually listen to her once in a while. :)

Here's the recipe Jason...

http://www.food.com/recipe/awesome-asian-slaw-61492

The only thing I changed was subbing two packages of broccoli slaw for the carrots and cabbage. Oh, and I also gave it a couple good squirts of Sriracha sauce for some kick. :mrgreen:

Between the all the habanero, garlic, onion powder and Sriracha, my breath is no doubt a lot like my avatar's... :shock:

Official Entry

Well I've been good all week. I've counted calories and exercised every day since Monday. As soon I'm done with this post I'm off to the bike trail to burn off my meatballs.:shock:

I crave sweet and spicy. I love to find that perfect balance of sweet to heat. Since I've been trying to diet I also wanted to find something that would be a great bite but a small portion.

I did the Google and found a Sweet and Spicy Meatball recipe that was perfect.

First the balls.

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

I picked my favorite balls and threw them in the egg. The rest I froze for another day.

SS6.jpg

Now for the Jalapeno sauce

SS4.jpg

SS7.jpg

As I was walking through the store thinking about the recipe a spotted a mango. I decided my little sweet and spicy meatballs could use some fresh mangoes and jalapenos to go along for the ride

SS5.jpg

The mango was not quite as ripe as I thought so I threw it in with the sauce and balls for just a few minutes so soften up a bit.

SS8.jpg

And put it all together

SS12.jpg

SS11.jpg

My perfect bite

SS13.jpg

This was fun and easy and will get added to the list of recipes to make when my brother is in town.

Thanks for looking.

This is my official losing entry...

It looks like pineapple and jalapeños are popular in this TD.

I took the four biggest jalapeños in my garden, and made some bacon wrapped sweet/hot appetizers.

I started with jalapeños, whipped cream cheese, fresh pineapple, bacon, and brown sugar.

picture.php

I cut the jalapeños in half, gutted the seeds and excess membrane, and stuffed them with my mix of diced pineapple and cream cheese. And, put a slice of fresh pineapple on top.

picture.php

I wrapped them in bacon, and sprinkled them with brown sugar.

picture.php

Then, on to the 18.5 OTG indirect to cook until the bacon was done.

picture.php

And here is the finished product, with some extra pineapple-cream cheese with cayenne pepper for dipping.

picture.php

Bon Appétit!

CD

My Official Entry into the "Sweet and Spicy" TD

Please accept my official entry into the "Sweet and Spicy" TD named "Smoked Duck, Leg of Lamb and Mashed Sweet Potato".

Just happened to find a leg of lamb on special at the grocery store so added it as a side. :biggrin1:

Picked up a traditionally raised Peking duck from the farmer's market that didn't make it into the smoker for Toast's "Something Fowl Comes This Way" TD. It occurred to me when this TD was called that I could do something with it now. And I wanted to eat that duck, too. I left looking up recipes online to the wee hours in the night before and found out that Peking duck needs to sit drying in the fridge for 3 days. Fark. The cook day I set aside got swallowed by other stuff so the new cook time got slotted to very early the next morning which ended up giving the duck about 30 or so hours drying out in the fridge. Score!

I really liked that we had everything needed for the cook already in the house. The duck was spiced with coarsely ground black, red and white peppercorns, Chinese 5-spice and coarse sea salt. The sauce was supposed to be honey, soy sauce, orange juice and water. Instead I made the sauce out of some bitter orange marmalade we made from a MaMade kit, the juice of one orange, the zest of one orange, sea salt and water. I consciously substituted the marmalade for the honey but totally forgot about the soy sauce/tamari until I saw it in my photo right now. Hmmmm. Glad I did what I did, it turned out stellar.

SIMG0018.jpg

SIMG0010.jpg

SIMG0045_1.jpg

SIMG0055.jpg

The thing about Peking duck is that the skin should be really, really bite through crispy. I was introduced to the idea of drying a bird out in the fridge (I think it was CD but not sure) to get crispy skin but didn't remember the whole 'sacred' tradition of Peking duck I saw on TV. One webpage said the Chinese separate the skin from the meat by blowing air through a straw. That poster also said he accomplished the separation well just by pulling them apart. I chose to pull it and use a knife for tougher spots. I was pressed for time so separated about 80 % of the skin from the bird and skipped the tedious work of doing that around the spine. I rubbed the meat with the salt/pepper/5-spice mixture under the skin then let it sit in the fridge again overnight. Most of the liquid came out in the first 24 hours. Before cooking you need to either dunk the bird in boiling water or pour boiling water over it. As far as I was concerned I was not dunking the bird in boiling water even if the poster I read said it didn't absorb the water. He did it both ways and weighed the results. I closed neck flap to keep boiling water out of the inside of the bird and wow, it really did tighten that pulled-off slack skin like a glove. Huh.

SIMG0052.jpg

The lamb was rubbed with ginger, garlic, dry rosemary, cayenne, cumin, onion powder and coarse sea salt.

SIMG0023.jpg

SIMG0025.jpg

Since the duck was sleeping overnight in the fridge naked I thought the lamb should join it. Never know, might kick it's game up a notch.

SIMG0029.jpg

Didn't remember to take a picture when Dragona was crowded with a lamb leg, an erect duck, two sweet potatoes and a dish of duck gizzards for our pup but did remember to take a shot when the lamb was left with one sweet potato. I basted the duck with the sweet orange sauce a few times. What a beautiful beast.

SIMG0063.jpg

SIMG0056.jpg

SIMG0060.jpg

SIMG0061.jpg

SIMG0077.jpg

I have to say that duck turned out amazing. Our kitchen is at one extreme end of the house. Didn't matter what room I was coming from and going to, after it had rested a bit every time I was on the move somehow it involved going through the kitchen, breaking off another piece of crispy skin and crunching it. Fark. Dipped in that amazing orangey sticky sweet sauce. Double fark. I am definitely doing this again. Crunch.

I had to go out so my partner pulled off the leg of lamb while I was out. When I returned I reheated slices of duck and lamb in the oven and I sauteed a couple of red onions in butter and added mashed sweet potato and sea salt. Great accompaniment, would do that again, too. The lamb was really delicious. I spent so much time on the duck I gave the lamb little more that a good rub and a good smoke and it turned out fantastic, too. It had a beautiful, deep smoke ring that my camera didn't convey.

Toast -- please note the homage to your missed TD embroidered on the tea towel.

SIMG0084.jpg

Below is the duck lavished with orange sauce. Sweet and spicy.

SIMG0087.jpg

Below is the lamb.

SIMG0091.jpg

And the full meal. Please use the photo below as my voting photo.

SIMG0093.jpg

Thanks for watching!!

Excellent cook Kathy... I've never had either the duck or the lamb but your post makes me want to change that as soon as possible. :mrgreen:

This is my official entry Sweet and Spicy Wings.

I needed something to take to our friends house for a party before the Halloween parade. I figured why not do some Smoked Sweet and Spicy Wings.

I like to cut off the tips and make one slice through the skin at the joint. I think this helps let the skin shrink around the wing so you don't have that big flap of rubbery skin to deal with later.

IMG_3646.jpg

For some sweet I used SM Sweet Seduction and for some spicy I threw on some SM Spicy Apple.

IMG_3651.jpg

I rubbed up all the wings and got the egg going around 325* with some chunks of apple.

IMG_3653.jpg

While the wings were smoking I mixed up the Sweet and Spicy sauce. In this case that was Patio Daddio's Finger Stickin' Chicken Sauce. This stuff is out of sight. A perfect blend of sweet an heat. You can find the recipe on John's fantastic blog here. Thanks Daddio!

Ingredients, I also mixed in a little molasses(not pictured) because I only had light brown sugar in the pantry.

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

About an hour or so later they wings were done. Lookin' pretty good!

IMG_3665.jpg

They were more than well received at the party, I even had one guy tell me he was a wing expert and they were the best wings he's ever had, my buddy Bobby said he wanted to drink a cup of the sauce. :grin:

Money shot for the TD.

IMG_3673.jpg

:peace:

Back