Barrels safe for UDS

T

turp23

Hello All,

This being my first actual post, Happy Thanksgiving! I scored 2 drums @ $13 each from a scrap yard with the lids, and the lock rings. The guy at the back of the yard even asked me if i wanted holes cut at the bottom, or if I needed the lock rings cut off. I kindly passed, but cool that he offered. At first sniff, the inside has no smell. After I pulled the lids off, they are fairly clean, with a slight oily residue. Both barrels say on the lid "F 500 474 net lbs." There is also ink labeling down at the bottom, which I can get a pic of if needed. My instinct tells me to clean it, then burn it. I have not touched the oil inside yet, well, because i had to come in and feed the new munchkin and I cant have her growing a third eye!:sick: What do ya'll think, go for it? I forgot to add that they are lined.

show a picture of them inside and out ,if it's a red liner you'll need to sand blast it a few times ,yellow liner will burn out ,you should try to get a positive i.d. on the oil type substance inside just to be able to make a better judgment call on how to go about handeling it.
welcome to the forum and keep us posted on your drum.

M

img0010ml.jpg

img0011lm.jpg

img0009sd.jpg

Bought most of my parts from Lowe's today. Most expensive part was the box of iscicle xmas lights @ $11! Could not find a 1" step bit there or HD either, so I will have to try the hole saw. Technically it wont be cold enough for a fire tonight, but I cant wait. I think the barrels should be safe.

habbor fright has the stepbits for under 14$ and they work awsome. Clean it out with a degresser and rag, then burn it out.

I used a hole saw no problem. They are cheap and if you have one and any mechanical skills at all you should be just fine.
If money isn't a big deal, then by all means get a step/unibit.

Its not so much the money, but the patience. Im ready to start working on this thing. Walked out of HD with 2 bits at $40 that I am bringing back. I have an old set of hole saws I will try first. If I am brave, I may venture out into the wild on black friday to harbor freight!

Pressure washed and degreased
img0014rm.jpg

Burn baby burn!
img0016bb.jpg

Pressure washed and sanded
img0017d.jpg

Sanded and cleaned
img0018uo.jpg

So do you think it is clean enough, or should I burn it again?

I think it looks great, time to get building and cooking!

looks like you are off to a great start, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Im getting anxious, but I dont want to get ahead of myself since I dont know what was in the barrel. Fire basket is my main concern now. I ended up at Harbor Freight on Black Friday, bad, bad idea. $300 later I walked out with a bunch of man toys including a flux welder for $89. Im fixin to teach myself how to weld, hopefully.

Looks like if someone gets much closer the first pr0n will be hot dogs :)

What length black steel pipe is everybody using for bung holes at the bottom? I bought 4" to use with 2 washers and a cap and they are way to long.

Back