Klose Smoker Restore

highergr0und

Full Fledged Farker
So I've been looking for a cheap stick burner for a while, perusing FB groups hoping to get a OK Joe or Old Country pit for like $100. Happened upon an ad giving away a big, heavy smoker for free with "needs a little work". Count me in.

Turned out to be a Klose 20x30. I'm super pumped since this is a $1700 smoker new. Firebox is fairly rusty but in solid shape with no weak spots. Ash pan is rusted out and a sliding ash/debris shelf in the main firebox was rusted out.

Few questions for those experienced

I'm not into putting hundreds of dollars into sandblasting, etc. If I sand down the rust the best I can with course grit will it cause any issues? Thinking of trying to paint but may flake off. Will applying oil stop further rust?

Is that pull out tray needed? I may just have someone weld the little door back on. It has a drain at the bottom and I can clean from the inside.

This pit has holes for a rotisserie. Can I simply fill those holes?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• Klose 1.jpg
    Klose 1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Spray that firebox down heavily with cleaning strength vinegar and let chemistry work for you. Scrub it with a wire brush a little, wash it off, let it dry, coat with cooking spray and light that puppy up.

Congrats!

Do you own an angle grinder? You can mow down the rust with a flap disc. A drill and a cupped brush will help get into smaller areas. You then can prime and paint the outside of the smoker if you're looking to rehab it.

We’ll done! I just bought the same one in slightly better shape for $200. Been working on the rust between copious rain with a grinder (flap wheels and wire wheel) and sandpaper. I’m not going to repaint, thought I’d try boiled linseed oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your my hero right now.

Good catch and looking forward to progression photos

Back