Making Apple Liqueur / Cordial

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
German ApfelKorn (similar to schnapps) is traditionally made by blending neutral wheat spirit with apple juice and adding a sweetner. ApfelKorn is usually 50 proof (25% ABV) for a smooth sipping beverage, and can be added to clear carbonated soda to make a fizzy apple flavored cocktail.

My version of the recipe is a little different because I infuse Everclear with several varieties of apples for the added depth of flavors. The sweet apple liqueur is easy to make using Everclear as the base for the infusion, as well as for easy ABV calculations. We are using this high proof alcohol to dissolve the essential oils and flavoring compounds into the alcohol base.

Alcohol by nature is a solvent, so it quickly extracts the essential oils and flavors from the fruit. The higher the alcohol content used in the infusion process, the greater the flavor results. The lower the alcohol content, the lower the level of flavor that can be extracted into the infusion. We refer to this as the solubility of essence and flavor.

After infusing the Everclear with apple flavors, we then calculate the amount of liquid required to lower the proof of alcohol to make a smooth, palatable, and enjoyable liqueur.

Preparation is easy, but it should also be meticulous: when prepared with accuracy the product can be replicated time and time again. As long as we know our beginning concentration of alcohol, we can always calculate our desired ending alcoholic concentration. We will refer to this as our “Alcohol By Volume” content.

The biggest hurdle most people encounter is simply finding an accurate recipe. There are many books, many resources on the Internet, and many shared recipes: However many of these lack accurate measures and calculations. Many struggle to balance the Alcohol By Volume content. ABV is your most important calculation to make a consistent liqueur time and time again. Sadly, many don’t know how to calculate ABV, and simply guess. Consequently so many have no idea what their starting and ending alcohol by volume contents are. Trying to replicate great results without measure or calculations might be nearly impossible.

I start with two separate smaller 500 Milliliter batches for better flavor control.

Items Needed:
1) Liter Everclear 190
2) Quart Mason Jars with tight fitting lids
1) Honeycrisp Apple
1) Granny Smith Apple
1) Macintosh Apple (Red Delicious can be substituted)
1) Mason Jar Pickling Weight (glass)
1) Beaker - able to measure 500 Milliliters of Liquid

Wash the apples in warm water with a vegetable brush, to remove any packaging residue or wax from the outer skin. Remove any stems and clean the top and bottom dimples of the apple well.

Peel and core each apple separately. Divide the peels between the two mason jars, then cut each core in half, removing the seeds, then put half of each core into each mason jar. The skin and the core contain a lot of flavor and will give your liqueur that wonderful golden color. Slice the apples putting 1/3 of each apple into each jar, and then add 500 Milliliters of Everclear 190. The remaining slices can be used to bring the liquid level of the jar to 700 Milliliters, anything leftover can be eaten as you cleanup.

I then add a "wide-mouth" fermenting weight on top of the apples to keep them submerged. The fermenting weights I use are made of solid glass, and can be purchased on Amazon. The weights keep the apples submerged below the surface and prevents discoloration.

Let the jars of sliced apples sit in a cool dark place for two weeks. A cold corner of the garage is fine, but if it's summer, then use the refrigerator. Apples contain a lot of pectin, so do not shake the jars. If at any time during the infusing process the apples begin to discolor, strain out the infused Everclear into a clean jar. Do not push on the apples to try and get more liquid out of them, doing so will cause you to have a cloudy alcohol base for your liqueur. Only several attempts at racking will somewhat help to clear up the alcohol.

Once the alcohol base has been strained and filtered, it can sit in the refrigerator for a long time until you are ready to temper down to a sipping liqueur or cordial.

To be continued after the infusion process is complete.

enhance

Almost any type of fruit can be infused / tinctured with great results. I also have a jar of red raspberries infusing along with the apples.

I tried to post part 2, but it won't accept the text when i submit "REPLY"

Sorry guys, I'll try again tomorrow.

Error Message.....
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@bbq-brethren.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Last edited:
I had a previous batch of apples infusing so I'll continue using that infused alcohol base.

00-DzEFF6pBsMDqDDb1plziWNGDMdRCyocW8YPH2Sdv8EpIQvOCDh13kPZuT7iOSzkz5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

These apples have infused for 17 days, strained and then filtered through a coffee filter. I store the full strength alcohol in pint jars in the refrigerator until I am ready to blend and temper down.

The beauty of crafting your own liqueur is that you can make it as strong / weak or sweet / dry as you want. Just diluting with water will give you an apple vodka, where as adding sweetness creates a liqueur or cordial. If your crafting a vodka, commercial vodka do add a small amount of sweetener to cut the sharpness.

On to the original recipe for ApfelKorn.....
We will be using 750 milliliter wine bottles for the end product storage vessels. We will be targeting the standard 25% ABV of ApfelKorn.

We start with our calculations for ABV..
We know we are starting with 500 Milliliters of 95% ABV, so in the 500 Milliliters there is 475 Milliliters of pure 100% alcohol. 500 X .95 = 475

We wish to create a 750 Milliliter bottle of 25% ABV. So using the same formula we determine the amount of infused alcohol to use. 750 X .25 = 187.5 Now we convert the calculation of 187.5 of pure alcohol into the amount of 95% ABV we need to use for each bottle. 187.5 / .95 = 197 So following this calculation we use 197 Milliliters of our infused alcohol. Knowing our final volume will be 750 Milliliters of 25% ABV, we subtract 197 Milliliters from out total 750 Milliliters. 750 - 187 = 563

This means we have to add 563 Milliliters of apple juice to achieve our goal. Into the bottle we add the 197 Milliliters of infused Everclear, then we add 563 Milliliters of a quality apple juice; I prefer a honeycrisp apple juice for the better flavor, but any apple juice will work.

You have just created your first 750 Milliliter bottle of 50 proof ApfelKorn. Keep in mind that you want a quality apple juice because the product will only be as good as it's weakest link.

We then let this product rest in the refrigerator for 2 weeks before serving, this allows the flavors and alcohol to meld and mellow out.

For those who want a sweeter liqueur you can add the 197 Milliliters of infused Everclear, then add 200 Milliliters of frozen apple juice concentrate, and 363 milliliters of a quality apple juice. This creates a sweeter product with a more intense apple flavor. Instead of 200 Milliliters of concentrated apple juice I sometimes substitute boiled cider from Wood's farm in Vermont. This amplifies the flavor of your end product

BC-PROD-PG.gif

For those who said they like a dry product, here is the calculations to make an 80 proof apple infused vodka using 750 Milliliter wine bottles. Using our calculations above we know we are starting with 500 Milliliters of 95% ABV, so in the 500 Milliliters there is 475 Milliliters of pure 100% alcohol. 500 X .95 = 475

We wish to create a 750 Milliliter bottle of 40% ABV.
So using the same formula we determine the amount of infused alcohol to use. 750 X .40 = 300 So following this calculation we use 300 Milliliters of our infused alcohol. Knowing our final volume will be 750 Milliliters of 40% ABV we subtract 300 Milliliters from out total 750 Milliliters. 750 - 300 = 450 To achieve our 80 proof apple infused vodka; we add 300 Milliliters of our infused alcohol to our bottle, followed by 450 Milliliters of distilled water.

Again, we then let this product rest in the refrigerator for 2 weeks before serving, this allows the alcohol to mellow out.

Last edited:
Great detail Madman - Thanks

I have done similar but just mixing by feel and taste. Have added cinnamon sticks for an apple pie taste. Have done cherries and added a little Malibu Run for taste. leave the cherries in and eat them as you go!

Interesting I'd like to try some. Sounds like it'd be close to the moonshine apple pie we make down south in the fall for the cold months.

Great detail Madman - Thanks

I have done similar but just mixing by feel and taste. Have added cinnamon sticks for an apple pie taste. Have done cherries and added a little Malibu Run for taste. leave the cherries in and eat them as you go!

Apple Pie Moonshine is quite popular, adding cinnamon sticks, cider, and brown sugar are the basics. Some add rum for added flavors.

The apples you infused can make a great Apple Cake or Apple Bread, so there is no waste.

Keep in mind that you can infuse any alcohol product with added flavors.

Apples or peaches can be infused into brandy to make an apple or peach flavored brandy. Vodkas can be infused with fruit, herbs, or other aromatics; I have even seen Bacon Infused Vodka.

The sky is the limit for your imagination.

Apple Pie Moonshine is quite popular, adding cinnamon sticks, cider, and brown sugar are the basics. Some add rum for added flavors.

The apples you infused can make a great Apple Cake or Apple Bread, so there is no waste.

Keep in mind that you can infuse any alcohol product with added flavors.

Apples or peaches can be infused into brandy to make an apple or peach flavored brandy. Vodkas can be infused with fruit, herbs, or other aromatics; I have even seen Bacon Infused Vodka.

The sky is the limit for your imagination.

True, I infuse a few bottles of tequila with green chiles every year. Thanks for the details on your ApfelKorn!

Back