Award Winning Competition Chicken by Pickled pig

I think it is a lot more typing then work. Trimming that thigh should take all of about two minutes tops including the skin.

I didnt think you could season your meat till after inspection though. ?????

Great tutorial for the comp cooks and enlightening for the backyard guys who just what to know how it is done. Thanks Paul for great write up and Sled for posting the link.

That is an awesome post and an addition to the great and detailed recipe he already has on his site, I have just a few questions and comments for discussion.

I wonder if you could do this but add the bones back in before wrapping them--Does anyone think that would work?

When I first saw that plate with the pile of skins as well as the one with the tablespoon of fat scraped from the skin I about lost my lunch, lol!:icon_sick:lol:

Does anyone have any idea why he, or anyone else, chooses to use parkay instead of regular butter? I saw a video where Mike Davis uses the squirt bottle of parkay as well, and wondered if it made a difference.

If a person wanted to do everything he outlined, but chose to go "low and slow", any ideas on how that would effect the end product?

Thanks for takin the time and puttin in the effort.
Very well done!
ModelMaker

Oughtta be a rule against building your own chicken.

That is humorous in that I Smell Smoke is the father of Franken-Chicken! (see Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Road Trip!) and you are HeSmellsLikeSmoke!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW Red Thermapens rule!

I had no idea that you could disassemble the chicken and then reassemble it at the comp. need to get one them rule books read it maybe.

That was a great tutorial. Thanks.

We use Smart Balance because we care about all Judges health.

And I do not mind being on a unique team.

That is humorous in that I Smell Smoke is the father of Franken-Chicken! (see Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbeque Road Trip!) and you are HeSmellsLikeSmoke!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BTW Red Thermapens rule!

I was only half joking. The amount of work involved seems staggering, but you sure can't argue with the results. It is no wonder that my chicken sucks in comparison.:biggrin:

Back