Sandy Doesn't Like BBQ

tdwalker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Brethren,

I hope that all of you in the path of Sandy made it through okay. My brother, who lives in Brigantine, NJ (a barrier island directly north of Atlantic City) was rocked pretty hard. As I write, he is still holed up a few feet above flood level in a neighbor's house with wife and dogs. He has his health and his loved ones, but his own house was flooded and badly damaged. He is insured and he will recover his property in time. All things considered, he is very fortunate.

My brother and I competed (badly) this year one under the team name "Jim's Boys BBQ." I don't think we will be back this coming year as most of our BBQ equipment including a 22" WSM and a 18.5" WSM went floating away on flood waters. Everything else, EZ-Ups, Thermapens, etc. gone as well.

Look for us to be back and return to competition (again, badly) in 2014.

As for any other brothern affected by Sandy, you are in my prayers.

Regards,

Tim

Wish you the best

We're thankful you all are ok. Good luck getting the team back to competing. Take care of yuorself.

My best wished and thoughts for your brother and his family. It is good to get out with your health and loved ones, but, surely hard to see all that 'stuff' that we gather to be gone.

Hopefully, things will recover quickly and you can return to competing (badly) soon enough.

I"m sure the insurance will cover getting the house and truck fixed. As for the rest of it, who knows where it will fall.

I appreciate all the good wishes.

One of the worst experiences you can go through is flooding. Glad everyone is alive and well, but will send prayers his and your way.

Look for us to be back and return to competition (again, badly) in 2014.

Glad you are OK. Don't give up on the BBQ though. We were pretty bad when we started, and we just got back from cooking The Royal, Sam's Club national finale, and The Jack. Got calls at all of them, though The Jack call wasn't related to cooking anything. :becky: We got into Sam's by taking the GC at the local and regional events. Hang in there. Flood waters go ahead, and your BBQ will get better.

Taking a class is expensive, but worth it. It will pay you back by imrproving your scores, and getting you some cash back in winnings. There are many fine teams in NJ//PA that offer classes.

SInce ya live basically next door, I plan on doing a few contests next year. You are more than welcome to come hang with me if ya need a comp fix.

I saw the pictures of Brigatine and it looked absolutely destroyed. Total devastation. I hope everyone is healthy and safe from that. Good luck guys

As hard as it may seem now, you are still very blessed. Especially considering the alternative and the fact that he has flood insurance. If you can prove that you owned it, or heck, just claim it, you should get recouped the funds to get more equipment to replace it. This may be a huge blessing in disguise when it's all over and done.

Hope they are doing well other wise.

Back