Hello from OK - I'm still Smokin' on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keri C

Good morning, all - I'm Keri Cathey, chief cook and bottle washer for Hot Wire BBQ, and a CBJ since... uh... 2003, I guess it was. DH Robert and I started out our married life lo these 27 years ago with a ECB (back in the days when it had a hole in the bottom of the charcoal pan...). We cooked quite a bit on that old thing, and were convinced that we were putting out some FINE groceries (whether we actually were or not is another story).

Online BBQ history: I started hanging out on the old Rick Thead list in around 1998, following it through its various incarnations as the BBQ Porch and now the Smoke Ring BBQ E-mail Discussion list. I sat back, read, and learned from the edges of the Porch, occasionally piping in to ask a question. In the last some-odd years I'm a bit of a regular over on the Virtual Weber Bullet board, and occasionally put in my two-cents-worth over on Basso's Forum. I've had the pleasure of already meeting quite a few that I see are regulars amongst the Brethren, and I look forward to meeting more of you in the future.

BBQ Activity: Friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers on a regular basis - you all know how that goes! We compete a few times a year, mostly just around this area, but have judged in Colorado, Kansas, TX, OK, and Arkansas. We also enjoy joining in on cooks such as feeding the 1500 Katrina refugees at Camp Gruber here in OK right after that hurricane hit, Operation BBQ Greensburg KS that assured that the little tornado-ravaged town had their traditional Memorial Day BBQ event, and various Senior-Q functions during the month of October (which is soon to be officially proclaimed as Senior-Q month in Oklahoma, if I ever get the documents back from the governor's office). DH Robert is the social director of our little team. (He proudly proclaimed his status as my Towel Bch 1st Class until he figured out the duties that went along with that title... :roll: ) We were 8th overall out 70 or so teams at our last comp (Bixby OK). I wasn't too ashamed of that - it was our 4th competition, so I don't guess I should mind getting beaten by the likes of Buffalo, Twin Oaks, Royal Oak, Head Co, and those other regulars to the stage.

Well, that's my background. We currently cook on two well-worn WSMs, 1 well-loved DPP "Fat 50" with 30 sq' of cooking space, and Robert and I have been learning to weld by building a Stumps gravity feed clone that will also have about 30' of space (5 regular racks, each 2' x 3'). We hope that we'll have it to the point of cooking on it in time for the Art of BBQ this year. Other toys - a pair of Honda Goldwing touring bikes (39 states and 4 provinces of Canada so far), and a 1970 Buick Electra 225 ragtop in the latter stages of restoration.

Those of you who know me from other online forums probably already know this, but it's practically impossible for me to write a short post - I tend to run off at the fingers badly. My apologies for that, but I just HAD to get that blasted 1-time-poster lighter fluid comment off my name! :biggrin:

Regards to all -
Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Keri!

GREAT to have you here. You have incredible skills, recipes and cooking insights that will be a major asset to the group....Please share!!

Matt in NYC

Hey Keri! It is really great to see you here :mrgreen:

You will find a great discussion of Hog-Apple beans on here if you do a search. You might want to give them a try. LOL

I look forward to your thoughtful posts.

Welcome

Still trying to find time to try your apple bean recipe!

Welcome to the backyard...feel free to ramble or babble on most of us do :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum Keri!
I had the pleasure of meeting you and Robert at Bentonville.
I have the Orange Stumper clone.

How is Robert's clone comming?

Thanks for the kind words, eveyone. Hey, Caveman, that Stumper is coming right along. Interior skin is welded in now. Charcoal chute and firebox are in place. Racks are built. Exterior skin is broken at the corners and ready to go on as soon as the insulation goes in the walls. Wheels are causing a bit of consternation. He says that once it's finished, it's all mine to cook as I please as he's going to start another soon thereafter, more the size of the GF223. I was inside the cooker crawling around the other night shining the flashlight along the seams to help him find any holes in his welds... and if you remember, I am NOT what one would refer to as a petite flower by any stretch of the imagination. It's a ... ehem... farking big cooker, it is! Same square footage of cooking space as the Fat 50, but it just seems bigger since it's more vertically oriented, I guess.

We're hoping it'll be ready for Art of BBQ July 13-14. Are you coming over for that one?

Keri C

Thanks for the kind words, eveyone. Hey, Caveman, that Stumper is coming right along. Interior skin is welded in now. Charcoal chute and firebox are in place. Racks are built. Exterior skin is broken at the corners and ready to go on as soon as the insulation goes in the walls. Wheels are causing a bit of consternation. He says that once it's finished, it's all mine to cook as I please as he's going to start another soon thereafter, more the size of the GF223. I was inside the cooker crawling around the other night shining the flashlight along the seams to help him find any holes in his welds... and if you remember, I am NOT what one would refer to as a petite flower by any stretch of the imagination. It's a ... ehem... farking big cooker, it is! Same square footage of cooking space as the Fat 50, but it just seems bigger since it's more vertically oriented, I guess.

We're hoping it'll be ready for Art of BBQ July 13-14. Are you coming over for that one?

Keri C

We won't be able to make Art of BBQ, we only compete once per month, and July is taken.

Good luck to you guys though, and GET THAT SMOKER DONE! (and post pics :biggrin: )

Boy, the Bar-B-IQue of this site just took a bump! (well, she cancels out drop it took when I joined)

Welcome to the best clubhouse on the web Keri!

I have to confess that I am somewhat embarrased I have yet to try the Hog Apple bean recipe. Now that there's nowhere to hide I'm gonna have to!

Welcome to our little part of the WWW!

I really hope you enjoy it here.

I was born and raised around a little place called Bartlesville, and later an even smaller place called Copan.

Welcome, neighbor from my youth!

TIM

Welcome to the asylum, Keri! It's nice to see you here. I have been touting the Hog Apple Bean recipe around here since I found it on the Virtual Bullet site! I'm going to be making a double batch this weekend for a graduation party!

Hi Keri!!

It's great to see you here! You're gonna love it! (You'll probably class it up a little bit, too!)

I saw you at Bixby Blues & BBQ, but you looked way too busy to talk for even a minute. We did the people's choice thing, and unfortunately got there too late for beans. Grrrr!

enjoy and post often!

Welcome Keri, glad your here, enjoy the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back