THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
Anyone have a deep fryer in their cooking arsenal that they like a lot?

I remember talking to someone during a BBQ class, and he was talking about the fryer he has on his porch that has a built in system for keeping clean etc. I can't remember the name of the brand for the life of me, but I got to thinking if I had a fryer that I could keep the oil in good condition and all the junk would filter down somewhere cleanable I might would like having such a device!

Dad has one of those and really likes it. I've used it a few times and it works well. Very heavy duty. He has the 4 gallon with stand model I believe.

I have the cajun fryer, works awesome.

Dad has one of those and really likes it. I've used it a few times and it works well. Very heavy duty. He has the 4 gallon with stand model I believe.

You guys that have one of these, how does the cleaning work? it says the sediments fall to the bottom in a cooler zone of oil, but wondering how it works as far as cleaning them out.

Maybe as simple as once in a while you use a strainer and scoop it all out?

How long does the oil last in them before having to do a wholesale oil change?

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty newbish when it comes to frying stuff!

My favorite deep fryer is a cast iron dutch oven, on an induction burner. Great temp control, which is the # 1 thing in keeping oil in good shape. Depending on what I cook, I either throw the grease out, or strain it through cheese cloth, and put in an empty oil jug.

I just buy one of the real cheapo ones at Bass Pro or something every few years.

I have had one that had a drain/spigot on the bottom, and that ended up being a bad idea. It's too goopy and messy to actually used, and then it developed a leak!

I mostly fry tortilla chips and a few frozen foods, so I can get many fries out of my oil. But if you're breading catfish or things like that it's getting pretty dark after 3 or 4 fries. A turkey will finish the oil in one fry!

I try to scoop out particulates with a strainer. But I've never been one to run the oil through a filter like some guys. Maybe I should try it.

I've thought about getting a nicer burner for homebrewing and using that for frying as well. But I haven't yet.

I have the RV Works Cajun Fryer, 6 gallon. The bottom of the "pot" is V shaped and the burner sits above the V. All the bits drop to bottom of V where oil is cooler and bits don't burn. There is a drain on the back. I screw a fitting into it with a piece of hose attached to drain and filter. Just put filter in top of jug that oil came in, put hose inside filter, open valve. Once oil is drained, I will scrape out remaining bits. Pour oil back into "pot". Filter after 3 or 4 cooks. Six gallons of oil will be 350 - 375 in 12 -15 min. I fry fish, chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, hush puppies, soft shell crabs, shrimp, corn nuggets, ribs, etc. You name it, I fry it, all in the same oil. No hint of cross contamination. Bought mine off CL for $350. Money well spent.

I haven't fried a turkey in it yet but the guy I bought if from had.

I have the 4 gallon 2 basket Cajun Fryer by R&V Works and it works great. As stated in previous reply you can filter the oil and clean out the fryer as often as you like. I have a friend that went a whole year without changing or filtering the oil. I ate some fried fish that he cooked toward the end of that year (I didn't know this at the time, lol), and the fish tasted great and I didn't get sick. I certainly don't recommend this but the design of the fryer really does work well. They are super heavy duty and will last a very long time. They're not cheap, but I highly recommend this fryer.

Back