Tri-tip

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Thanks for all the advice on the tri-tip, it turned out great. I just used salt, pepper and garlic, grilled it on the weber then put it in the smoker. I let it get to 165, my wife and daughter don't do rare but it turned out very rare anyway, so I was surprised and happy. No photos but I have a small chunk that would make an excellent steak and cheese sandwich if I weren't on a diet.
Dave

Tri-Tip is the best.

Plus it works well for multiple uses for leftovers

At 165 I would guess you didn't get the actual part of thermometer that reads temp in the center of meat or bad calibration on thermometer itself. What type are you using? I cook this for work and refuse to go above 145. If the picky people don't like it pink I tell them to pop in microwave for 10-15 sec. and pink goes away.
Main thing is that your happy with results. Use leftover to make omlets tomorrow with pepper jack cheese!

The microwave is your friend for people who do not like meat cooked to proper temps.

At 165 I would guess you didn't get the actual part of thermometer that reads temp in the center of meat or bad calibration on thermometer itself. What type are you using? I cook this for work and refuse to go above 145. If the picky people don't like it pink I tell them to pop in microwave for 10-15 sec. and pink goes away.
Main thing is that your happy with results. Use leftover to make omlets tomorrow with pepper jack cheese!

Tri-Tip is the best.

Plus it works well for multiple uses for leftovers

Looking forward to dealing with the leftovers.

I suspect you are right about my Maverick remote being wacked. During the entire cook it would read LLL off and on. I should have stuck it with another thermometer but didn't, that means I may have to stick my pork butt in the oven today to finish it off because I took it off at 185 so it could be way under cooked as well. Guess my meds were not letting me think clearly. :icon_sleepy

My daughter nuked her meat but my wife ate it as I did and we thought it was excellent.
Dave

Back