Murphy's Law

tish

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Did anyone else here screw up their cooks in the beginning when you first started smoking? Every single time I've done this thus far, I've managed to screw up at least one aspect, in that I wasn't ready when I thought I would be, because of some dumb mistake or oversight.

Today was no exception. This time I was taking things out of the freezer, and moving stuff around in the fridge last night. As I was rearranging, I glimpsed what I thought was the bacon I had taken out of the freezer along with a bunch of other stuff, and thought I was good to go for today. I've got the smoker coming up to temp outside, and came back in to prepare the food for the cook, but I needed the bacon. I went to get it, and found that it was an old opened yucky package that I had unearthed while rearranging, and mistook it for the new package which was.... wait for it.... still frozen solid in the freezer! :doh:

Got my vents shut down low trying to hold my temp down as much as possible while I'm defrosting in running water. Just wait'll Harvard gets that bill. :roll:

FArk, I still screw up need to smoke more, blue smoke that is....

You will never stop having this happen, it happens to even the most seasoned professional chefs from time to time. It certainly happens to all of us backyard types.

I thought Murhpy's Law was that you must always keep enough Irish whiskey around to keep you happy when things go wrong.

You will never stop having this happen, it happens to even the most seasoned professional chefs from time to time. It certainly happens to all of us backyard types.

I thought Murhpy's Law was that you must always keep enough Irish whiskey around to keep you happy when things go wrong.

Now that's the kind of law I like! :thumb:

If you haven't farked something up, your not smoking enough! The whisky part of Murphy's Law works for me too:-D.

Yep. Sure have, and will continue to do so in the future. It's part of being a cook in general, whether it be in the kitchen or on the patio.

I started up a butt this morning and had everything loaded up.... and then I remembered that in order to smoke the meat I need to add WOOD! Unload, disassemble the racks etc. etc... add wood. It's just one of those things.:thumb:

I'm not sure if that type of thing ever stops :-D Just ask Parsley Lady how many times I come stomping into the house because something is taking longer than I had planned, or I realized at the last minute that I forgot to buy something, or ???

What really frosts my pumpkin is when it happens at a competition! I think we're more careful in planning for those, but it still happens! At one competition I went to prep our chicken and when I grabbed the package out of the cooler I found that we had grabbed a vacuum bag of trimmings that I was saving for soup instead of the vacuum packed bag of pre-trimmed thighs! I had to run to a local market to buy thighs, find the rep to get them inspected and then start my prep work. I was not a happy camper :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if that type of thing ever stops :-D Just ask Parsley Lady how many times I come stomping into the house because something is taking longer than I had planned, or I realized at the last minute that I forgot to buy something, or ???

What really frosts my pumpkin is when it happens at a competition! I think we're more careful in planning for those, but it still happens! At one competition I went to prep our chicken and when I grabbed the package out of the cooler I found that we had grabbed a vacuum bag of trimmings that I was saving for soup instead of the vacuum packed bag of pre-trimmed thighs! I had to run to a local market to buy thighs, find the rep to get them inspected and then start my prep work. I was not a happy camper :rolleyes:

You forgot to mention you're WAY more dangerous to your digits than the food...:roll:

Chit happens... :wink: Just grin through it and keep on doin what you're doin! :thumb:

Cheers

Ryan's signature quoting his wife asking if any of that stuff was going to be ready for tonight's dinner rings oh so true. It is definitely my wife's favorite quote.

Well, I had intended to do more for this cook, but as it turns out, when I realized how far back this set me, I abandoned making the "bacon wrapped meatballs" because I had to go to the store for something else I forgot in order to make them. :doh: I was too busy being stuck here doing damage control. :roll:

By the time all is said and done, I may end up being the most experienced master cook of fatties because it's all I ever do! I'm always intending to put on some stuff with it, and then it doesn't happen because of one screw up or another, or I run out of time, or whatever, and I figure no point in throwing in perfectly good meat after bad. I'll just make whatever it is the next time. HA!

I know I'm going to catch grief for saying this, but I'd take a fattie over a bacon-wrapped meatball any day :becky:. Sounds like it worked out for the best to me. :thumb:

Yep chit happens defiantly, it always takes a little more time then I expect but I've been slowly figuring out what I'm doing that's slowing me down nobody is perfect .:mod:

I screw up, well, frequently! The last was the lighting of the paper under the chimney with no charcoal......TWICE in a farkin row.

Thanks, guys! lol If this stuff can happen to you, bluetang, it could happen to anyone... and apparently does! :becky: You all make me feel a whole lot better. I was just starting to think "too stupid to Q" thoughts in my head. I'm supposed to be a fairly intelligent person. Afterall, I is a colege grajeit, and everything. Maybe that should be colege idjit, instead. :roll: Gotta go check the smoker!! :wink:

Yep - happens all the time. I don't see any end in sight for it either....

Back