Cool Smoker Design

What I don't see in those photos is a grease trap. When grease drips to the floor, it looks like the only place it can go is down the flue into the firebox.

The firebox looks small. I guess if you like stickburners and you don't mind feeding it fuel every 45 minutes, it's not a big deal.

Fundamentally, there's nothing wrong with an firebox under the chamber design. It certainly takes a smaller footprint. I'd want to see better photos of this particular unit, though

I got to thinking about the grease trap as well. Maybe putting the firebox off to the side and slanting the bottom so it drains to a trap would improve the design a bit. I miss the stick burning Bandera clone I refurbed.

Personally, I love the firebox underneath design! My smoker rocks from this design, it does reduce the space needed.

SheisHere002.jpg

:-DNICE!! How bout some more pics of the firebox and the trailer. Nice set up Mr. B.L.

Isn't that basically the same as any other cabinet smoker (ala Spicewine, Stumps) with a slight variation of two piecing the unit instead of it all being on solid thing?

I would think with the firebox separated as it is you would lose a lot of heat radiating out to the air instead of to the chamber, therefore you'd use a lot more fuel than if the two of actually connected instead of piped together.

I have built several with firebox below that heat wonderful you also can grill on them. I caan have this one up to heat and be eating hamburger while most people trying to light their charcoal I install grease drain on both side and have a baffle over the heat opening. Bob that would be a very easy smoker to build wish i knew the size of firebox I might build one like tat this week think Ihave enough scrape to build one
DSCN9209.jpg

BBS----That is one cool set up Bro!!! I like the open air design. That vent design is so simple. Works for me. I'm starting to lean more and more towards this set up.:eusa_clap

Jestridge...........I like that cooker. What all kinda parts went into making it? I'm intrigued. Looks like it's seen a lot of fire, smoke and meat in it's days.:wink:

BBS----That is one cool set up Bro!!! I like the open air design. That vent design is so simple. Works for me. I'm starting to lean more and more towards this set up.:eusa_clap

Jestridge...........I like that cooker. What all kinda parts went into making it? I'm intrigued. Looks like it's seen a lot of fire, smoke and meat in it's days.:wink:
The cooker part is from a rail car air tank a local junky ard give the school 5 of them the firebox is scrape from a local factory So far we have built 3 of them working on two in the shop now, It give the student plenty of practice in welding / blueprints

Over Under Smoker Design - Firebox Below Question

Hi All,

I am in the middle of my first smoker build, having fun learning to weld and it's a great project to do with my 16 year old son.

Using an old Oil Drum as the smoke chamber with a long skinny propane tank below for fire.

Question I have is what is the best way to attach the lower firebox? Should I have it seperated from the smoke chamber and connected with a couple of pipes (have read the negative to this is it will use much more fuel to keep temps up). I would also install some dampers in the pipes.

Or should I weld it directly to the smoke chamer with openings cut through for smoke and heat. I would put a diverter plate above to deflect heat around.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Attachments

• Over Under.jpg
    Over Under.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 313
A friend of mine built one like this a few years ago. He welded the smaller tank to the bottom back side and had a 5 or 6 inch opening all the way across. Put a plate just above the opening extended to the front to make it reverse flow. He sold it about 6 months ago for WAY more than he had in it, but it worked very well.

Looking for pictures. Will post when I find them.

Thanks for the reply Aaron, that sounds kind of good, so then I would tend the fire around the backside right?

Does the size of the firebox tank below look about right for the smoker above? Guess whatever it is it's going to be since that's what I have anyway. I think it's about a third or a little larger of the smoke chamber.

i couldnt see the pic as the item listed has been removed... but GRUNTER is kinda an underneath firebox here's some shots, that show it pretty well

182051_10150089104852759_578407758_6314737_5034063_n.jpg

181663_10150089104767759_578407758_6314736_6034570_n.jpg

168039_10150089104952759_578407758_6314738_1053948_n.jpg

I Like Grunter!

MMMMEAT thanks for posting pics of your Grunter. That looks to be almost exactly like what I had in mind!

Thanks Hookemhorns! That's a sweet smoker. Gives me some good ideas just in time before I start cutting and welding again.......

Back