Wife got a nice butt

WillisP33

Found some matches.
Reaction score
The wife was at Costco Tuesday and picked up a 19# pork butt :clap2: So I thought that I have a few days off I should probably smoke it. I promissed some friends I would bring some over to their house on Saturday. I owe them because they are giving me about 3000sqft of sod from their back yard (they laid to 2 years ago and now want flower beds).

I have never injected a butt so I thought I would use the Chris Lilly method, although I will probably use my own spices as the rub. Does anyone have any suggestions or things they like to add? I have seen a few that like to add a shot of burbon to the injection. I do have a shot or two of Makers Mark left and I am out of coke:shocked: Just thought I would see what others thought. My rub is 3/4 Williams BBQ seasioning and 1/4 Tony Chachere's.

I plan on starting it this evening/afternoon so we can have it for dinner Friday night. I will be cooking it on my NBBD with Stubs briquetts and apple wood chunks (Its what I have a lot of)

I would love to hear some comments and suggestions. I will take pictures as I go.

Whoa! Are you sure that's not a twin pack with two 9 to 10 pounds butts? Just curious.

I liked the Chris Lilly injections jsut the way it was. You might want to try it without mods first to get a feel for if you like injections and then in the future see what changes to it had on the final results.

I like my Butts with just Rub! I agree with Chris, you may have 2 Butts there.

If it's one butt it could take a while with that weight. You could make it two, more bark that way.:becky:

I thought that there was 2 in the pack which will be better, I can try the recipe with my rub and modified injection and Chris Lillys rub and injection.

The wife was at Costco Tuesday and picked up a 19# pork butt :clap2: So I thought that I have a few days off I should probably smoke it. I promissed some friends I would bring some over to their house on Saturday. I owe them because they are giving me about 3000sqft of sod from their back yard (they laid to 2 years ago and now want flower beds).

I have never injected a butt so I thought I would use the Chris Lilly method, although I will probably use my own spices as the rub. Does anyone have any suggestions or things they like to add? I have seen a few that like to add a shot of burbon to the injection. I do have a shot or two of Makers Mark left and I am out of coke:shocked: Just thought I would see what others thought. My rub is 3/4 Williams BBQ seasioning and 1/4 Tony Chachere's.

I plan on starting it this evening/afternoon so we can have it for dinner Friday night. I will be cooking it on my NBBD with Stubs briquetts and apple wood chunks (Its what I have a lot of)

I would love to hear some comments and suggestions. I will take pictures as I go.

I wouldn't say that when you're in the company of those not into BBQ... wrong on many levels.:wink:

So....... I mixed up Chris Lillys rub and injection and I mixed up my normal rub. I will try one with my rub and Chris Lilly's injection and one with Chris Lilly's rub and injection. It's raining now so I plan on moving the smoker into the barn and poring the coals to it tonight. If I light it off around 10pm and put the pork on around 11 it will hold the temp until around 6 or 7am. Then I can throw on a fatty for a late breakfest and the butts should be done 5pm and will let them rest for an hour.

The Costco by me sells a butt and a picnic in the same package. They are separated, not whole.

Back