Pellet cooker and smoke rings

This subject may be beat to death, But.

This came off my YS640,
Sammy
I like your Yoder. Blue Competition cart. Bold choice. Keep smokin' dude.
I think the topic of the smoke ring has been flogged pretty hard.
I used to think it was an indication of smoke penetration and therefore smoker quality. I have read enough technical food science stuff to now understand it is neither. Its just an artifact of how different meats cook.

I still like sharing some love with other Yoder owners though.
Lookin' good in the neighborhood

This came off my Pitboss Copperhead 5
100-5058.jpg

100-4999.jpg

100-4689.jpg

100-4121.jpg

100-4124.jpg

I just add red dye 40 to all my rubs/marinades. You get such a deep smoke ring. I don't know how my oven does it!
Tenderquick does a great job as well. Unless you want to be "Nitrite Free", then you can probably sprinkle with some celery powder. :mrgreen:

Proof that smoke rings have nothing to do with smoke flavor :becky:

*runs and hides*

I know that was a joke but it's very true -- beyond the chemical impacts others have posted. I can't even begin to replicate using charcoal the smoke rings that the Rectec produces. I can easily get a heavier smoke flavor but the visual -- no comparison.

Celery powder vs tenderquick = both are "cures" and nitrites. Celery is one of the sources for the nitrites and nitrates in cures. The chemical is the same either way.

Also my Copperhead 5 gives results very similar to RadRob's photos. Stickburner, charcoal (with wood chunks), pellet pooper, and gasser (oh hell no?) all have a different flavor profile though.

Back