It Arrived!

Crüe-B-Cüe

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
The 96 gallon drum arrived this morning. Now I just gotta find the time to do something with it.

96.jpg

That gonna be sweet, Keep us in the loop!

Whoa. That's a monster. If you weren't already in a warm climate it'd make a great insulator "sleeve" for a 55 gallon drum.

I have an 85 gal drum that I made into a BIG UDS. Mine also has a 26" internal. I guess the 96 gal is taller. I was able to install two grates at about 7" from the bottom to the top grate. Then from the top grate to the flat lid, I have about 8" of space. I love that thing. It is AWESOME!!

I can imagine you are pretty excited. I am, just wondering how it is going to turn out! Looking forward to the progress/build thread!
That is a monster. Wondering if you could cook a hippo(if nit endangered of course) in it! :p

I have an 85 gal drum that I made into a BIG UDS. Mine also has a 26" internal. I guess the 96 gal is taller. I was able to install two grates at about 7" from the bottom to the top grate. Then from the top grate to the flat lid, I have about 8" of space. I love that thing. It is AWESOME!!

Yes, it's just taller than the 85. It's 42 1/2" tall. I was figuring on 7" or 8" spacing for two racks.

Looking forward to the build pics!

I'm looking forward to the build!

I can imagine you are pretty excited. I am, just wondering how it is going to turn out! Looking forward to the progress/build thread!
That is a monster. Wondering if you could cook a hippo(if nit endangered of course) in it! :p

It is pretty farking big. I takes up most of the bed on my little Toyota.

Gathering parts...build should be happening soon. I have a draft door from a large BGE for my intake. I have the 26" Grillmark grates coming from Amazon and I ordered two 6" velocity stacks off eBay for the exhaust. (Pic below) My question would be placement. Would it be better to put them side by side to the outside of the lid? One on each side of the lid? Both in the middle of the lid? This drum is farking huge. It is taller than my 55 gallon drum with a dome lid. I may have to get a step stool to put the charcoal basket in. :becky:

!BURfUZ!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKioEjlLmeN7IBKMqChE5rQ~~_12.JPG

I think I would definately fabricate it like Smokerking did his.

Last edited:
I know you said you had a BGE intake, but on one that size I think I would go with a full 2" for plenty of intake and control of that size drum, kinda like this setup. I may even do 2 2" intakes for doing high heat cooks. I think these exhausts are similar size to yours also, just to show their placement. Looking forward to seeing your build!!

BarrelChicken003aw.jpg

Go simple!

IMG_0525_1.jpg

Yeah, I probably agree more with the simple too. I was just thinking if his drum was the taller version, Smokerking's idea is great as you don't have to take everything out of the top to get to the basket, it would take a long handle to get to from topside on taller 26" drums. JMHO.

I've never had to get to my basket during cooks. In fact, I've only bumbed the drum a couple of times if I saw the temp steadily falling off too much. I'd get one of Thirdeye's tickling rods if I found myself needing to jostle the basket much more. So far, 12 hours is the longest burn I've needed and I usually have some lump left. I'm too afraid of bad air intake control to put many holes in the drum, much less an access panel. Just my thoughts!

Back