boston butts - pron & injection question

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

i made these two 4.5 pound boston butts last night. 9:15 at 270 with jack daniels oak barrel chips and cherry chips. dizzy dust on yellow mustard. no injection

? am i missing something by not injecting ? does the egg delete the injection "requirement"? how many of you do not inject butts?

i'm not sure these could be better. the neighbor said they were the best pulled pork sanwiches he'd ever had!
i said "yep" :biggrin:

23jun07-002.jpg

23jun07-006.jpg

23jun07-014.jpg

23jun07-010.jpg

Rick--

As always, Great Looking Grub!

As to injecting, it is your choice.
I inject to add moisture and the fllavor of my choice to the interior of the meat.

If you are happy without injecting, by all means do not change!
It is all good.

TIM

I'm with The_Kapn. I also inject to add moisture and flavor. A typical butt is too thick to get much flavor penetration from the rub so I use an injection to get some flavor into the meat not just on the outside.

I'm with The_Kapn. I also inject to add moisture and flavor. A typical butt is too thick to get much flavor penetration from the rub so I use an injection to get some flavor into the meat not just on the outside.
i'm kinda thinkin the egg retains the natural moisture in the pork and recycles it. i'd be interested to see what people with multiple cookers and an egg have found in that respect.

i've only done butts three times, and they were all these little guys. seems that during the pulling the flavors of the outside and bark get all mixed in anyways.

also seems that i search for "nonenhanced" pork with butts and ribs and loins so i'm having trouble with injection idea. maybe i just need to try one and answer my own questions! hahaa:biggrin:

i'm sure this topic has been discussed at length in the past... maybe there's a road map thread or something somewhere?

Rick, those look GREAT!!! I usually inject but I like it either way. It's all good Q.

Rick,

I too had people tell me my Q was some of the best they had ever eaten. I thought it was pretty darn good too!!! Then I happen to have some Q at a comp from one of the Brethren. IT was the best I had ever had and since I knew it was injected I knew I had to try it. It was super moist without being mushy and had a flavor that was familiar and very complimentary, yet I couldn't quite identify it.

So... I have been injecting mine for the past couple of months. There is just no other way to get some of the unique flavors down into a huge piece of meat. Just give it a try...

That is not to say I won't ever do one that is not injected again or anything like that. It sure is fun to play around and sample the differences...

so here's some leftovers heated up with a little homemade north carolina vinegar sauce on a pita.
pulled pork pita's (ppp's)
24jun07ppp-001.jpg

*natural sunlight in my kitchen window, no flash*

*nothin but pork*

:biggrin:

Good lookin grub! Personally I used to inject but i don't find much diffrence so I don't do it anymore.

Good lookin grub! Personally I used to inject but i don't find much difference so I don't do it anymore.
thank you! that is exactly what i was hoping for, cause i'm all about keepin it simple!

i've got a berry buckle cake on right now and i plan on topping it with bananas foster with apple brandy and vanilla ice cream.
yeah... keepin it simple and real
:biggrin:

Rick - you'll get opinions from both sides here...

The best way for you to figure out the answer is two make two butts... Do everything exactly the same except inject one butt and leave the other non-injected. Inject with a basic recipe that others have used that does not contain any ingredients that may not work well with the slather, rub or sauce you use for the rest of the process.

At that point, you can better determine if injecting is something worthwhile for your liking.

PS : Great Pork pita pics... but I think you already knew that :biggrin:

Those are outstanding pictures! I'm going to have to try to the injection now. What kind of camera are you using?

Those are outstanding pictures! I'm going to have to try to the injection now. What kind of camera are you using?
thanks, mon!

but, but, but... i didn't inject and i don't want to.

these were all the nikon d80 with 18-135mm lens

I inject to add moisture to the butt and for flavor . But if not using it and it works for you then keep on going. I usually slather yellow mustard add the rub as well makes for a great bark.

thanks, mon!

but, but, but... i didn't inject and i don't want to.

these were all the nikon d80 with 18-135mm lens

Rick, I have been using a D70, have not kept up with what is going on. Are there major differences between the d70 and the d80?

<so here's some leftovers heated up with a little homemade north carolina vinegar sauce on a pita.
pulled pork pita's (ppp's)>

Looks great! I'm going to inject next time I do a butt..

PPP? I had a UPPP, is that the same?:-D

I've injected shoulders with a Mojo marinade and they were cooked on the UDS, I wasn't all that jazzed about the results, I've since learned to add crushed garlic and let them marinade longer. The only butt I juiced was at the DrBBQ class and again I wasn't thrilled, but the family liked it! Some that I tasted that day were fantastic!
I don't recall seeing anyone on the BGE forum discussing injecting butts for the Egg, but that dosen't mean it's a bad thing. I was thinking about the corned beef flats that I've done on different cookers and my best was on the BGE!

Brian

Back