BBQ Brethren "Pork Chop" Throwdown!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Pork Chops!"[/size]
blue-kurobota-pork-chop.jpg

Photo from L.A. Splash review of Blue on Blue restaurant

...as chosen by Brewmaster, the winner of the Super Bowl Party Food Throwdown!

Here is the NEW AND IMPROVED simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

1. The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
2. Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown period ( 2/19 - 2/28 ).
3. All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on the night of 2/28.
4. Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
6. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren Throwdown related postings or materials.
7. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
8. Only the image from the original post by the person entering the dish will be used in the Vote thread. Any further postings of the same photo by the same person, or by others will not be used.

The voting will begin Monday 3/1 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 3/5. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Surf and Turf Throwdown until Sunday night 2/21 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Sandwiches Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Oh...maybe I'll add a couple chops to my weekend cook!!!

I guess I will start this off since I picked the category.

This is a Smoked Pork Chop with Cheese Ravioli in a Portabella Cream Sauce and Steamed Broccoli.

I cut these from a whole boneless pork loin and brined them for 3 hours in TQ. Then grilled them at about 300 over pecan wood.

GrillChop.jpg

PlateChop.jpg

ForkChop.jpg

Cheers,
Nate

Nate, there are three winning pictures there! How can you possibly pick just one?
Absolutely gorgeous!

My Chop Pick...

Wife's homemade taters, Corn on the Cob, Smoked and glazed chop.

Attachments

• P1300011.JPG
    P1300011.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 543
Corn on the cob? You're growing corn on the cob in Ohio already? :shock:

That looks really nice too.

Corn on the cob? You're growing corn on the cob in Ohio already? :shock:

That looks really nice too.

Had some frozen in husk from a farmers market last summer, just soaked and tossed on the grill. It was as good as the day we got it. Unfortunately, was the last 2 we had.

Wo Wo Wo Whoooooa..

If it's a chop, It's gotta have a BONE... Am I right Farkers, or is this just another cultural misunderstanding???? Anyone?

FIDDLE STIX.. thats what i made last night for dinner. Oh well. maybe ill make em tonight again. Question for you. Is rotisserie loin chops ok?

Wo Wo Wo Whoooooa..

If it's a chop, It's gotta have a BONE... Am I right Farkers, or is this just another cultural misunderstanding???? Anyone?

A chop doesn't have to be bone-in.

I think this is another cultural thing. Twenty years ago, I'd have agreed that a chop needed a bone. I'd also have expected my chicken to have bones too! Now, boneless chops are extremely common and of course there's butterfly chops. One of the exciting things about these throwdowns is to see how people bend the definitions and think outside the box.

Again, everyone has their own definitions. Some will reward you for being creative, others will penalize you. It's all part of the fun and games.

Hey Chris, Thanks for the video. Looks like another case of regional differences. A boneless chop is a steak. We have "butterfly steaks", not butterfly chops etc. Just a "naming" thing.

Cheers!

Bill
Growing up I didn't think you could have them any way other than fried. It's a Southern thang.:biggrin:

I don't think there is anything wrong with people feeling a chop needs a bone. It's up to the voters ultimately. I personally am lenient enough because I have seen "boneless chops" for sale at the store. It's a personal call ultimately, but you may want to consider being lenient if you feel it is not a chop because people can go to the store, ask for a chop from the butcher, and very well possibly wind up walking away with a boneless chop (at least here in the States anyway).

Funny thing is, there is no distinction in beef for a steak with bone, and one without (ribeye for example). It's just a steak either way. That's probably why the boneless pork ones are still called chops, because that is what people are used to calling them. Nobody has ever called a beef ribeye steak with bone a "chop" (at least not that I've heard). It may also be a way to keep people from confusing pork shoulder blade steaks from "chops", by naming anything sliced off the loin a "Chop". Then again...I think I saw some Blade Chops for sale once...

Ugh, my head is spinning now:confused:

I was told that, technically, a steak is without a bone, a chop is with a bone for beef, pork or lamb. I don't care really, as nobody else knows what it all means. Just like I was told a rib steak is a boneless cut, the rib chop is bone-in and a ribeye is the eye of the rib steak, minus the undesirable fatty flap. I thought, who the heck considers the fatty flap of meat undesirable?

I don't think there is anything wrong with people feeling a chop needs a bone. It's up to the voters ultimately. I personally am lenient enough because I have seen "boneless chops" for sale at the store. It's a personal call ultimately, but you may want to consider being lenient if you feel it is not a chop because people can go to the store, ask for a chop from the butcher, and very well possibly wind up walking away with a boneless chop (at least here in the States anyway).

Funny thing is, there is no distinction in beef for a steak with bone, and one without (ribeye for example). It's just a steak either way. That's probably why the boneless pork ones are still called chops, because that is what people are used to calling them. Nobody has ever called a beef ribeye steak with bone a "chop" (at least not that I've heard). It may also be a way to keep people from confusing pork shoulder blade steaks from "chops", by naming anything sliced off the loin a "Chop". Then again...I think I saw some Blade Chops for sale once...

Ugh, my head is spinning now:confused:

I was told that, technically, a steak is without a bone, a chop is with a bone for beef, pork or lamb. I don't care really, as nobody else knows what it all means. Just like I was told a rib steak is a boneless cut, the rib chop is bone-in and a ribeye is the eye of the rib steak, minus the undesirable fatty flap. I thought, who the heck considers the fatty flap of meat undesirable?

Got it, so basically getting past all that technical jargon, sounds like we're all agreed that it's gotta be ... pork! Bacon chops could be on the menu, KnucklHed! :biggrin:

Back