Best portable charcoal grill for the money?

mcoupe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Checked out the Hasty Bakes, 420 for their portable...they make great stuff no? Needs are mainly a charcoal grill that could fit enough for two, but up to four....hopefully :-D thanks for any advice.

Smokey joe? $30 and the usual weber quality. If I wanted more space I'd probably be sawing off the legs of an 18" kettle :p

Weber's Smokey Joe Platinum - 18" is the one your looking for, $40-$50
nice size , and built to last. The carry-handle locks the lid to the base.

Arkentex..your probably a talented individual with mad welding skills. Unfortunately, i all thumbs when it comes to building things. I'm getting better tho, i modded my kegerator to a dual tap, and added support for corny kegs. Maybe someday i will get there. Just got thru browsing what brethren have built. Quite impressive. Color me jealous of all your skills.

Seems like the smokey joe is the way to go thanks everyone for your imput!

Weber's Smokey Joe Platinum - 18" is the one your looking for, $40-$50
nice size , and built to last. The carry-handle locks the lid to the base.

This.. I take it everywhere.. camping, the beach, tailgates.. I think they're closer to $60 though. Not as easy to find as the SJ silver though, got mine at BBQ's Galore..

not sure if the BubbaKeg grill is stil being made but I am very happy with mine, and it is portable.

Keep the weber go-anywhere charcoal grill in mind. On my local craigslist the go-anywhere grills seem to be given away for nothing, whereas the smokey joes are wayyyy overpriced. Prices will depend on your area, but I just wanted to throw out another suggestion.

i'm a huge fan of the weber smokey joe. but a short legged 18" kettle as mentioned is a great option. there is also the go anywhere and also the son of hibachi.

I've got a SJ, but it's not gonna get my vote. I'd go for an 18" OT, and saw the legs down to size if you want. Actually, next one I see on Craigslist, I'll probably try to do the same.

For now my vote goes to the 14" "Smoker Joe"

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

I never realized how well an SJS cooked until I got the Mini Cajun Bandit.
Ideally, I'd love to have an 18" SJG, but I use mine a lot!

Weber Smokey Joe is good but Weber Go Anywhere is better.
If you want more surface I suggest a mini UDS with 2 grill grates.

Your qualifier "for the money" makes a Craigslist Smokey Joe your best choice in my opinion. If you pay more than $10, you've paid too much. Great little grill.

Back