Rookie Question: Cabinet vs Offset Smokers

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hello

In an attempt to show how truly green I am, I was hoping someone could clarify the use cases for a cabinet vs an offset smoker. What do most people use? Is there an application that one can handle that the other can't?

Right now I'm just looking at Klose and Meadow Creek smokers. I'm wondering if I should be considering a cabinet.

Thanks
Sam

The simple answer to this question is: It's a matter of personal preference. and now...let the debate begin!

If I was still working and not retired , I'd be looking at those that are a combination of both. I love the "look":becky:

I'd go for a cabinet smoker but that's just me.

If I was still working and not retired , I'd be looking at those that are a combination of both. I love the "look":becky:

My friend has one, only complaint he has is the cabinet ends up a lower temp than the offset section.

And yeah, it's going to be preference. You'll probably get even answers on both.

Of course there are those of us who chose to go with the the UDS.. :-D

If you have questions on that...see the ugly drum smoker thread, good luck we'll see you in 6 weeks when you're done reading it, LOL.

If money was no object (bwaaahaaaahaaa:laugh:) I would get both. I think I would probably go with a Spicewine or similar insulated cabinet smoker if I only could have one. Then again, I cook everything on a Weber kettle. So there you go.

I was always taught not to discriminate so I would incorporate both into one:laugh:. I love my offset (250 gal horizontal propane) for whole hog and multiple meats; I find I get a more even heat throughout so no rotation required. When I do all of one item or when I do jerky, I love the verticle because rotation is key and a vertical with many racks is easy.

I like the fuel efficiency of cabinets. That said however, stick burners are more authentic really in the way they produce smoke and cook the food. Despite that, I would still choose a cabinet.

There are valid points for the different designs/fabricator for many different reasons.

Just my 3 cents;

Offset smokers: old-school/traditional smokers which burns charcoal and/or wood.
A quality offset smoker will have at least 1/4" steel used.
Will be tending more often and not a "hands-off " smoker.
If you like playing with fire... this is your toy.

Cabinet smokers: Are a modern re-interpretation style design of smokers.
Very well insulated, resulting in longer burns between loads.
Fuel depends on design; charcoal, wood, or pellets.

Been tempted by cabinet style myself... just enjoy old school, i guess.

It seems to me you wouldn't be able to do a whole hog in a cabinet and that it's vertical design would mean the meat on top would drop on that below so you can't say do chicken and ribs very easily. Is this a naive understanding?

Cabinets will be way more fuel efficient. Stickburners are more work, and in a way more fun. And there is a flavor that you get from a stickburner with a clean burning fire that I haven't tasted with any other type. Whether or not you prefer that flavor is up to you.

Now with all that being said, a bunch of the good folks here are probably about to tell you to forget both and build a UDS!

It seems to me you wouldn't be able to do a whole hog in a cabinet and that it's vertical design would mean the meat on top would drop on that below so you can't say do chicken and ribs very easily. Is this a naive understanding?

Yes, it's not the format - it's the size. Various offsets will not fit a whole hog and various verticals will. I'd agree I wouldn't want to put anything right below chicken, but their are tricks to get around it - tenting, foiling, nothing directly below, etc.

Chit Stirrer Mod::heh: Do share? Did that hole in the ground have a hole off to the side to put coals in?
What I meant by "more authentic" is that they burn all wood in a clean burning fire fashion. I should have been more specific I guess.:rolleyes: I'm in the cabinet camp though...I believe that "lump" charcoal, even when smoldering, does count as a clean burning fire!:thumb: That's debatable though. See where I'm coming from?

This is true. I (like many on the board) started with the weber kettle, then moved to my first "smoker" with the Bandera and am now taking the plunge and forking over the cash for an offset. I'm going with a Gator Pit as a matter of personal preference but have cooked on LyfeTyme as well. I have learned on the Bandera and really enjoy tending the fire and consider BBQing to be an all day - slow and relaxing endeavor. But, the Bandera has its limits. I find it can be difficult to reach meat at the back (some have modified so that you can pull out the racks) and as you stated, the meat on one level will drip down to those below (this can be a good thing.)

More to your original question...If you consider BBQ to be the event, want to drink beer (or whatever your beverage of choice), BBQ, and relax as something enjoyable in and of itself, go with a stick burner. If you consider BBQ to be a necessary means to an end and are just trying to get the meat out and guests fed before the big game...don't.

More to your original question...If you consider BBQ to be the event, want to drink beer (or whatever your beverage of choice), BBQ, and relax as something enjoyable in and of itself, go with a stick burner. If you consider BBQ to be a necessary means to an end and are just trying to get the meat out and guests fed before the big game...don't.

What do you mean by this?

For a more 'hands on' cooking experience, the fun of cooking with split logs instead of charcoal, and the deeper smoke flavor that method imparts, go with an offset. But be prepared to spend almost the entire cooking time at or near the cooker. You'll most likely be adding fuel every hour and tweaking your vents to maintain constant temperature. This is my favorite way to cook when I have the time.

For a more 'set it and forget it' style of cooking, long burn times on fuel and fairly consistent temperatures once your vents are set, go with a cabinet cooker. Add a gravity feed (like the Stumps) or an auger (like the pellet poopers) and you can let your 'que do it's thing while you do something else.

Keep in mind these are not your only two options. Kettle, UDS, Egg, WSM, Santa Maria, etc. all produce great barbeque and all have different advantages and disadvantages.

Your best bet would be to cook on as many different kinds of cookers you can, read this forum extensively, ask questions and then make your decision.

If you're like me, you decision might be, "I'll take one of each!" :grin:

I am fortunate to have both and all of the reasons to own one or the other have been mentioned above. I enjoy cooking on both. In the winter I use the spicewine more as it is insulated and I don't have to watch as closely but when the weather is decent I love the offset...something about playing with fire I guess.

The Spicewine is great in the winter. It holds temps rock solid for a very long time and I don't use a Guru. Maybe after Christmas I will if Mrs Mafia
happens to be reading this thread.

I don't know if I could choose between the Spicewine and Lang.
They are two different animals that are both great. I will say that the Spicewine is way easier to use.

I am fortunate to have both and all of the reasons to own one or the other have been mentioned above. I enjoy cooking on both. In the winter I use the spicewine more as it is insulated and I don't have to watch as closely but when the weather is decent I love the offset...something about playing with fire I guess.

Back