So, I don't like rib tips.

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
OK, I said it.

I don't like rib tips. I realize this is my personal issue, so don't try to make me change my mind. :icon_shy

That being said, does anyone have specific (Non Barbecue) uses for trimmed rib tips (and rib skirt for that matter)? I have already been over the "just smoke 'em" deal 100 times. I am looking for ways to use large quantities, because I love spares, but don't like the tips - and I don't mind trimming my own. I can freeze and save plenty of uncooked rib tips for large scale use later.

So a quick search here shows the obvious:

Add them to "baked beans". I can do that, but I would still smoke them first. This leads to my usual problem of forgetting them until they become shoe leather. I will try this again though, because it makes sense.

"Ham (plain pork in this case) and bean soup" is another possibility, but what cooking method would you recommend if I don't want to smoke them first?

Any other "non-barbecued" rib-tip tips?

Good question. To me, they need to be cooked (somehow) to really use them. You have to get the meat away from the fat and cartilege, and I smoke them to get them to that. You could always braise them, I guess.

I wonder how they would grind for sausage. Maybe not the only meat, but added to. Well, the skirt anyway.

Or ... send them to me.

Plowboy said:
I wonder how they would grind for sausage. Maybe not the only meat, but added to. Well, the skirt anyway.

Skirt added to other stuff for sausage would work because the skirt would be relatively small amount of the whole. I don't currently grind my own, but have been threatening to.

Still not a use for the tips though. Braising may be an option. I wonder what would happen if I crock cooked or slow simmered rib tips in a green chile based liquid.

Would it be any good to boil up and use for a stock for later?

G$ said:
I wonder what would happen if I crock cooked or slow simmered rib tips in a green chile based liquid.

Might be a beotch to get all the grissle out if the tips fell apart. If you got them out first then removed them little knobies and put the meat back in, then I bet it would be good.

Tender Quick them in a brine soulution with some added liquid smoke. Rinse them good to remove some of the saltiness and put them in the freezer. You can use them in place of ham for your beans and cornbread. Or you can add them to baked beans for kind of a beanie/ weenie deal but call them beanie/ribbies.

River City Smokehouse said:
Tender Quick them in a brine soulution with some added liquid smoke. Rinse them good to remove some of the saltiness and put them in the freezer. You can use them in place of ham for your beans and cornbread. Or you can add them to baked beans for kind of a beanie/ weenie deal but call them beanie/ribbies.
This is an idea, I may try it. May be just a step too labor intensive, but it is a good idea.

bowhnter said:
Would it be any good to boil up and use for a stock for later?
For right or wrong, I am not a fan of pork stock. Would certainly work though!

thillin said:
Might be a beotch to get all the grissle out if the tips fell apart. If you got them out first then removed them little knobies and put the meat back in, then I bet it would be good.
Yeah, the problem remains of those intertwined nobbies and gristle. Cokking them alone then adding back solves the issue, but means i have to do the dirty work of tearing em apart. I think i will try something like this soon.

Keep 'em coming. Good ideas all around.

Let me start by saying, I've never tried this but there's no reason it wouldn't be great....

What about substituting all those spare bits and pieces in a slow cooker receipe for Asian-style ribs? Once cooked, you could serve the meat and juices over white rice or remove the gristle, shred the meat and use in fried wontons, egg rolls, etc.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 to 4 lb. pork ribs
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup orange marmalade (or apricot preserves)
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 (or more!) garlic clove, crushed
PREPARATION:

Combine soy sauce, marmalade, ketchup and garlic. Brush all over the ribs. Place in a slow cooker/Crock Pot and pour remaining sauce over all. Cover and cook on LOW at least 10 hours (I cook mine for 12 hours, as I like the meat falling off the bones).
Serves 4 to 6.
Posted by Myron (http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotporkribs/r/bl102c1.htm)

I'd just drop them into a pot of marinara and simmer until they fall apart.

Seems to me your problem with rib tips is your cooking and/or your butcher.

Yeah, that sounds harsh. But last Friday I just bought the whole display shelf of rib tips at a local independent super market. $0.39 per pound and real meaty. Farkin no brainer. Cooked-em up real low and slow and just left them overnight in the smoker ( a cold front was coming through and it was like 10 deg. F. by morning. Then I put some in a deep baking pan for lunch yesterday, diluted a little BBQ sauce to coat the top a little, foiled the top and reheated in the oven for about 20 minutes. Some damn good eats. 4 of em was all I could eat.

Yeah, I'm in St. Louis and I could buy St. Louis-style ribs any time any where. Only the butcher/farkers scrape much of the meat off bewtween the ribs and they cost like up to 10 times the price. I don't think so.

I would them in the crock pot with some spices for the day. This will cook the meat for other possibilities. Afterwards, pour the mix into the strainer making it easier to pick out the grissle.

Oh and does Plowboy wear skirts?:lol:

Mark said:
Seems to me your problem with rib tips is your cooking and/or your butcher.

Not my butcher. I trim em myself and they are perfectly meaty (and gristly and rib tippy).

I have stated many times before, I do screw them up when I cook them cuz I shove them in the cooker and forget about em. Even still, when cooked properly I don't really care for them as rib eatin'.

(.39 per pound I'd eat dirt though.)

If you like neck bones and rice you could substitute the tips in there.

They are not meaty enough (for me) for pork and kraut, but I have a recipe for a kraut soup that calls for less meat, they would work in that.

Maybe pressure cook them (you would have meat and broth that way) then make pesole?

I think I may try something like this next time:

I am going to halve the tips to a manageable size, and wrap them in cheese cloth. I'll dump them in the slow cooker in some kind of sauce (marinara/asian-citrus/green chile) and slow cook them till they fall apart (6 hours ... 8 hours?). The cheese cloth pouch will make fishing out the hard gristle and bones a little easier cause it will be separate from the sauce. I'll just cut the skirt up and put it right oin the cooker.

G$ said:
This is an idea, I may try it. May be just a step too labor intensive, but it is a good idea.

For right or wrong, I am not a fan of pork stock. Would certainly work though!

Yeah, the problem remains of those intertwined nobbies and gristle. Cokking them alone then adding back solves the issue, but means i have to do the dirty work of tearing em apart. I think i will try something like this soon.

Keep 'em coming. Good ideas all around.

Okay; pressure cook the fark out of em. The end result will be rib tip pudding.

I use mine when making fresh green beans from the garden. Kinda like adding bacon or ham to them.

I've taken to double smoking ham hocks for soups, so you got me thinking of saving them for that purpose. The skirt I might add to some boneless butt for sausage.

Jorge said:
I'd just drop them into a pot of marinara and simmer until they fall apart.

Youbetcha. I trim my spares too because I don't like rib tips, but I do like what they add to spaghetti sauce and my wife uses them in various philippine dishes that she makes. So spares are a win/win in my house.

Back