Luau Wedding

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Was contacted this weekend to do a wedding in September for about 200. They are doing a luau theme, so we are talking either pork tenderloin & pineapple kabobs or hams/shoulders for a pseudo hog roast. They like the idea of the hog head centerpiece. :biggrin:

What would be some ideas for sides?

Can't you work the cost of a La Caja China into the gig? Whole hog!

And all caterers and staff should be in grass skirts.

Sounds like an interesting gig. Im sure our resident Hawaii brother Keale will be able to share his knowledge.

Hey, Todd, there are some really good recipes in the book The New Cuisine of Hawaii. Macadamia nut rice, bean thread salad & many other wonderful salads, mango muffins, fruit salsas and sauces, a goat cheese and Maui onion tart, etc. It's an old book but inspiring.

I was also thinking about your kebabs. If you marinate pork LOIN in pineapple juice, plus whatever, it will be so tender you needn't waste the extra money on tenderloins.
http://www.amazon.com/New-Cuisine-H...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203960078&sr=1-1

Or how about some ribs with either a hoisin or guava sauce? And little spring rolls are always a good idea.

Also check out Hawaiian food on the Food Network website.

Sounds like fun!

Pineapple juice with a little coconut rum might be a good marinade for the pork.

Thanks, Julie. Good stuff.

Here is a request I had for a Luau birthday party last year:

Kailua Pig Roast
Hawaiian Chicken
Pineapple Fried Rice
Potato and Macaroni salad
Fruit platters

Keale helped me out on something similar last fall. We served the pork loin, but we had rice and roasred sweet potatoes. We had fresh grilled pineapple with a dollpo if ice cream and pistachios for dessrt. Keale is a wealth of info for these. PM him.

200 is easy, you know that. I'd look to the following for sides;
Fried Rice / Rice Salad, Jicama Slaw, Sweet Potato Something..., Fresh Fruit Salad, Banana Pudding, Coconut Sheet Cake (got a killer recipe that uses Coconut Cream), Maybe a Tuna Ceviche or Salad?

Back