Maverick XR-50

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I don't know if anyone is interested or not but the owner/inventor of the Slow N Sear is a friend of mine. He just came out with a new Maverick thermometer and a new version of his Slow N Sear. He flew in and we talked about the products and then I took a bunch of question from my facebook fans and he answered him. It's a long, but comprehensive review of both products.

I think the Slow N Sear is really cool, but the reason I'm focusing on the Maverick is because I think it will likely be in 2018 what the Thermoworks Smoke was in 2017...the main reason being that it's 20 bucks cheaper, has a 500 foot range, and has 4 probes. Full disclosure. Dave sponsored this video but I don't have any financial interest in the products we talked about. I just point the camera at people. It's a long video. If you want to skip around by topic, there is a table of contents in the description box. Personally, before I used it i probably would not have upgraded from my Smoke which I've been pretty happy with, but now that I have it I would. 4 probes for 80 bucks is really nice.

https://youtu.be/yRKsTjvn72I

I have a Maverick ET-733 which has served me very well. I like a lot of the features on the XR-50, as well as the price.

One question I have, and I guess it's just speculation; why not add the rubber grommets/plugs on the XR-50, like on the ET-733?

Many times I only use one port to monitor grate temps, and I plug the other port shut. Seems like it would make sense to have those plugs available on the newer model, rather than having to keep all 4 ports plugged for it to be rain proof.

Just my 2 cents.

Wish it had a wifi or bluetooth option...i would be tempted if there was a way to use an app.

Ive had my ET-733 for two years now and rely on it regularly...no issues. But if I was going to upgrade I would want an app in addition to more probes.

Maverick ET 732 was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent in BBQ. Absolute POS and Maverick's only solution to any problem was to buy more probes. They burned that bridge with me years ago and I'll never purchase another product they peddle.

I also highly doubt anything built by Maverick will ever compare to the quality and durability of something made by Thermoworks, and especially so at comparable price points.

I have a Maverick ET-733 which has served me very well. I like a lot of the features on the XR-50, as well as the price.

One question I have, and I guess it's just speculation; why not add the rubber grommets/plugs on the XR-50, like on the ET-733?

Many times I only use one port to monitor grate temps, and I plug the other port shut. Seems like it would make sense to have those plugs available on the newer model, rather than having to keep all 4 ports plugged for it to be rain proof.

Just my 2 cents.

That is a very good question that I do not know the answer to. I'll ask and get back to you.

Wish it had a wifi or bluetooth option...i would be tempted if there was a way to use an app.

Ive had my ET-733 for two years now and rely on it regularly...no issues. But if I was going to upgrade I would want an app in addition to more probes.

I totally understand that thought process. I really like my fireboard but it costs 3 times as much; Also the 4 probes and range power that will pretty much reach anywhere in my house kinda cuts into the benefits of the FB for me. The benefits of the FB really pick up when you get a fan and use the controller but again, more $. That said, all say again, it totally get where you are coming from. I think this is more of a product you get when you 733 dies and you want another quick and easy therm.

Maverick ET 732 was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent in BBQ. Absolute POS and Maverick's only solution to any problem was to buy more probes. They burned that bridge with me years ago and I'll never purchase another product they peddle.

I also highly doubt anything built by Maverick will ever compare to the quality and durability of something made by Thermoworks, and especially so at comparable price points.

I've just had so many of these types of products break from all different manufacturers, I don't think any of them are bullet proof. For example, I had to get an entire Smoke replaced because it was reading 400 degrees everywhere (including inside). In contrast, I have 2 732's and the only issue I had 1 probe that they replaced several years ago. I think it's kinda luck of the draw which is why customer service is so important.

I don't blame you for voting with your wallet.

I keep meaning to watch this one, but haven't gotten around to it. Damn life, getting in the way.

I keep meaning to watch this one, but haven't gotten around to it. Damn life, getting in the way.

No worries, man. It's long.

It's good info though if you are considering either product and the time stamps in the description box will help you find what you are looking for.

I've owned both Maverick and Thermoworks products over the past 10 years. Thermoworks products and specifically the Smoke model which (sort of) compares to the XR-50 is much better and has a wireless gateway option if you choose to go that route. It's easy to use and reliable. Worth the extra cost! If you buy the Maverick, you'll soon wish you had purchased the Smoke.

I have the Maverick 732 and the Smoke with the Gateway. The range of my Maverick is better than my Smoke but the Smoke is way easier to setup. I also have never had any probe issues with my 732 and still use the originals as well as the longer ones I purchased later. I may have to check out the new XR-50.

I have the Maverick 732 and the Smoke with the Gateway. The range of my Maverick is better than my Smoke but the Smoke is way easier to setup. I also have never had any probe issues with my 732 and still use the originals as well as the longer ones I purchased later. I may have to check out the new XR-50.

I get it, but you and Chiefblue will both come around once you see it. (or maybe you won't just because I said that. lol)

There has never been a Maverick like this before... It's in a totally different class.

BTW, the range is probably better on the Smoke. We actually did a test last year when the smoke came out where we walked them both out across a football field and figured out which one actually had better range with fresh batteries and all things being equal with clear line of sight...both were right around that 300 foot mark.

At first we thought the Maverick was a lot better but while testing we figured out. The reason it seems the Maverick is better is the the Smoke tells you in 15 seconds if it disconnects and the Maverick 732 only tells you after 4 minutes so it gives itself a ton more fluff time to reacquire the signal before it lets on...even a momentary connection makes the 4 minutes start over. Once we factored that in, the Smoke had about 15 feet more range but at that distance, who really cares, ya know?

With that said, that's actually 2 of the big improvements on the new Maverick. 500 feet vs 300 feet AND it's lets you know it disconnects within 15-20 seconds.

I was a huge fan of the Smoke and never used my Maverick once i got it...and i think this one is going to be even better.

Are you sure you don't have any "interests", in this product.

Seems as though you might...?

Nah, He’s Honest in His Reviews and makes BadAzz videos. If this Unit Chits On Him He’ll say it in a Future video. One of theses Times Him and TRoy will come to one of our N Tx Bash(s)...... :

Ive had constant issues with my Maverick 732 - have bought 6 probes ( 2 maverick and 4 sold by one of places advertising on here) but maybe issue is in the unit.? Temps will bounce up n down by 100, even 200 degrees at random times or go LLL.......

Last edited:
I have Maverick 732 that I've been using for 4 years now with no problems. The weak point with Mavericks is the probes. They're delicate and you REALLY have to handle them with care: don't kink or chafe the wires, don't get the probes wet, and store them where they won't get damaged.

I'm still using my original probes.

BTW, the range is probably better on the Smoke. We actually did a test last year when the smoke came out where we walked them both out across a football field and figured out which one actually had better range with fresh batteries and all things being equal with clear line of sight...both were right around that 300 foot mark.

At first we thought the Maverick was a lot better but while testing we figured out. The reason it seems the Maverick is better is the the Smoke tells you in 15 seconds if it disconnects and the Maverick 732 only tells you after 4 minutes so it gives itself a ton more fluff time to reacquire the signal before it lets on...even a momentary connection makes the 4 minutes start over. Once we factored that in, the Smoke had about 15 feet more range but at that distance, who really cares, ya know?

With that said, that's actually 2 of the big improvements on the new Maverick. 500 feet vs 300 feet AND it's lets you know it disconnects within 15-20 seconds.

I was a huge fan of the Smoke and never used my Maverick once i got it...and i think this one is going to be even better.

The problem with my Smoke is that it's not the line of site range that is an issue because it works great in that situation, it's when it has to go through the house and from under the carport where the smokers are that range becomes an issue. In this situation, it will not stay connected unless I move it right outside the front or back door so it only has to go through one wall. I've had it back to Thermoworks and they say it's working fine.

I have no problem trying out the new Maverick, especially if it's easier to use than it's predecessors. Don't get me wrong, I love Thermoworks products and I have a lot of them but I'm not brand loyal if something else works better.

Justin, just watched the video and I'm wondering if you'll give up the Fireboard for the new Maverick? I still really like the graphing and session saving feature on the Fireboard, and I know you like the Fireboard, too, so I'm just curious of your plans.

Great video, as always.

Are you sure you don't have any "interests", in this product.

Seems as though you might...?

Why would you question a straight-shooting guy like Justin when he already said he doesn't have a financial interest in these products? Besides, I think he has enough on his plate right now with just purchasing controlling interest in Weber from BDT Capital Partners.:wink:

Back