Smoked Almonds? Bring 'em On!

D

drunk chicken

A buddy of mine says you can smoke almonds at home. Anyone ever tried it on their BBQ rig? I'm all ears....:wink:

And if you like a little sweet heat.... you can take honey cut with apple juice as your liquid.... then add plowboys yardbird rub to the nuts. cook in a similar fashion... not to hot, to ensure you dont scorch the sugars in the rub/honey.... They turn out great as well. Neil's nuts = savory w/ a kick. Yardbird nuts = sweet w/ a lil kick. Both are excellent. I must say, I dug in and helped steve play with a batch of Neils nuts, and they were awesome. Luckily, I am comfortable enough in my manhood to say that.... NTTAWWT

Yuper. The RGC of the American Royal was at my house on the trial run of Neil's Nuts. :icon_cool He even helped me make a concoction to substitute for the Yashida's that we I could not find. Then I got to try Andy's nut recipe at the Midwest bash. Both are good but I like Neil's nuts better, although Andy's pork is the best in the world. Ohhhhh Andy. :wink:

I have the fixins to do 2lbs of each type of nuts this week. :) I'm addicted to both!

Awwww schucks... I'm glad you liked the pork, even if you couldnt believe how I was prepping it! :)

Smoked almonds are good grub.. and that looks like a great recipe! Lots of almonds in this counrty.

Smoked Almonds are awesome. A search will yield a ton of different hits.

Over-smoked (burnt) almonds are not so good. :icon_sick

Almonds, Pecans and Walnuts. Candied and spiced up. A little melted butter, some Dizzy Pig and they don't last very long!

100_2184.jpg

What temp do you smoke them?

I did mine in the Bandera at about 250 for 2 hours. Use mild woods as they do absorb the smoke easily and you don't want them to get bitter. I think I was using hickory and pecan.

How about a fruit wood?

I myself prefer smoked almonds with about a tablespoon of olive oil and sea salt 2 tablespoons of granulated garlic, and about 1/2 tablespoon of chipotle powder tossed, to coat, and smoke smoke over mesquite until almonds are "done" an nice crispy snap to them.

Sure makes a fella proud when everyone likes his nuts.:biggrin:

Back