Awesome brisket

Best I’ve ever made or tasted. Worth every cent of the 147 bucks.
1607bb697c3b82baf88b09b118d57701.jpg
bf23bc60fe5dbac9dc256f8652c252b0.jpg
fb3e8521e66e024a8cb163213c9b5eac.jpg

Hi Nice looking brisket. I got a few questions?

Did you into the city to get it?

Have you tried there pork?

Preices?

THanks DanB

I got it in Greenwich Connecticut which is about 30 minutes from me. It’s a real haughty city. It was 11.99 a pound, came to 147 bucks. I thought that was crazy, I could get a waygu for that price. I was wrong, totally worth it although it’ll be a once in a while expenditure. I can’t afford that on a regular basis. That was my first time there so I haven’t tried anything else, but I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome job!!! How did you cook it?

Put it on around 130AM at 215. Raised temp to 225 around 10AM and then 250 at 1PM. Finished temp was 206 around 445 PM. Rested for a little over 3 hours. No spritz, wrap, or mop.

I've got to say that is the best looking brisket that I've ever seen come off of a gravity fed smoker. I like that black crust you see typically from briskets off of offsets. I've been looking at gravity feeds but seeing comments that the bark is not great, that they don't get good color, and the smoke flavor is light. I hope I can pick your brain about how you did it. Was it a Texas style rub, mostly salt and pepper? Did you use chunks or small splits? How much wood did you use? Did you put it in the ash pan only or in the charcoal shoot too? Did you have to reload the wood? Did you use lump?

I've got to say that is the best looking brisket that I've ever seen come off of a gravity fed smoker. I like that black crust you see typically from briskets off of offsets. I've been looking at gravity feeds but seeing comments that the bark is not great, that they don't get good color, and the smoke flavor is light. I hope I can pick your brain about how you did it. Was it a Texas style rub, mostly salt and pepper? Did you use chunks or small splits? How much wood did you use? Did you put it in the ash pan only or in the charcoal shoot too? Did you have to reload the wood? Did you use lump?

I’d be happy to answer all your questions. First I’ll say that I always get a great bark, smoke ring, and smoke flavor on my Stumps. It’s my own homemade rub which is salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. That particular brisket I didn’t wrap, spray, or mop. And I never will again. I use mini splits in the ash pan. I think I used peach on that one. I like pecan, maple, and oak. Sometimes a little cherry. I load the ash pan up with splits, maybe 4 or 5. For a long brisket cook I’ll put it on at 215, load up the ash pan with wood, and go to bed. That’s around midnight or so. I’ll get up at 8am and add more wood. Crank the temp up to 225. I’ll adjust the temp up around noon if it’s not progressing the way I want. The smoke flavor is always plentiful IMO. Great bark and smoke ring never an issue. Remember to trim as much fat off the “non fat side” of the brisket as you can. Less fat equals more bark. Please feel free to ask all the questions you like.

Oh and that cook I used Stubbs briquettes but my usual go to is Royal Oak Lump.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I'm serious about the brisket. I think I've seen every episode of BBQ Pitmasters and BBQ Pitwars, watched every youtube video on gravity feds, and searched this forum high and low. Your brisket has been the only one made on a gravity fed that made me go "wow." If I didn't know better I would have thought it came off of an offset. I would love photos per the response to your other thread. I'm new to the forum so I guess just private message them. What size are the splits? I usually get chunks from Fruita Wood. They sell 6 inch mini splits and 12 inch splits. I'm not familiar with the size of the ashpan so I don't know what would fit. I can also get apple wood locally from orchards and oak splits in the fall when people start selling firewood. I've cooked on offsets in the past. I love the food, but the babysitting is a pain. I just don't have the patience or the time to do that anymore. I have a WSM now that I use as I main smoker, and also use a Slow-N-Sear on a Weber Kettle on occasion. I want a larger smoker, so I first started looking at Lone Star Grillz offsets. However, I decided I wanted something that was more set it and forget it, so I started searching for insulated verticals. I looked at the LSG, Backwoods, Pitmaker, Stumps, and Assassin. I've narrowed it down to the LSG or the Stumps/Assassin, but it seems people either love or hate the gravity feeds. The biggest complaints were smoke flavor, color, bark. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that has one so I would be just taking a chance on the gravity fed. I assume the LSG would be just like a bigger WSM. Any help making my decision on vertical is appreciated.

Back