Question : Butt vs Pork Shoulder

Bacon_99

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Accidentally picked up a whole shoulder (16 lbs) instead of pork butt for the pulled pork I'm making tomorrow.

Thought it looked bigger (last time I bought two butts - makes sense).

The butcher only had boneless unless I waited till Sunday.

My question is - if I cook the whole large piece of shoulder like I would butts, will the shoulder still make for good pulled pork or will only the upper part be good? (Will the texture all be the same as well?) :confused:

There will be 2 different tastes\texture's between the Shoulder and the Picnic. Picnic will taste more Hammy, I prefer the Shoulder but to each their own. Try each, you could even mix it up.

cook the whole thing!!!! id do it skin off, but that's just me, more bark. Inject the hell out of it, shred it all together and be happy

I did a shoulder and I took the skin off and it was so good!! I've only done this once but I will be doing it again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks All - great replies and quick to boot..... Thought I'd gone and screwed myself but should be interesting to see what the difference between the upper and lower is.....

Just got a new house - now that I have a private backyard going to try cooking on the egg overnight with this 16 lb hunk of pork...

Will inject and rub and leave to marinade for 5 or 6 hours before throwing on the egg...

Cheers

Boneless?

$5 says you got a 2 pack of butts.

Usually the whole shoulder is not boneless ( or I have never seen one)... The whole "leg" will take a little longer to cook than 2 separate cuts of pork... Good stuff....

the shoulders make GREAT pulled pork imo...i ALWAYS take the skin off though, as I like bark....

ive never done a whole one, but I've done a butt and a picnic at the same time, just not connected!

Yes - boneless - and no, not two butts. I got to an actual butcher who supplies grocery stores, one of only two AAA butcher/abattoirs in the region... They cut them right of the pigs they have out back. For some reason they only had some shoulder that they had already boned left over..... I assumer they were likely going to ground them since a lot of ground pork in grocery stores is shoulder (as is sausage)......

I'll let you all know how it turns out - am interested to see if there will be any difference. Will throw it on tomorrow afternoon and cook overnight til 195 or 200......

Cheers

Back