Contest Etiquette

bbqbandit70

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I not sure if this is the place for this but here it goes. I was out in KC for the Royal this past week to visit some of my wife's family. I took the Judging class Thursday and was able to judge the open. After I checked in on Sunday my wife and I went to walk around the sites looking and taking picture of good looking sites. We saw some of the big names(I will not include their names) and took some pictures, my wife said don't you want to go up and say hi. It was 10:00 AM and I did not want to bother anyone this close to turn in as we were starting to go back to the judging area we saw another legend of the sport so from about 20-25 feet away in the public area we took a few pictures, my wife asked me about the pit and I was explaining it to her (Jambo) a competitor from another team across the lane from where we were came over and said very snotty (I'm being nice here) "I'm security for ????? today please let the legend cook and not bother him he got beat up yesterday" He was standing between us and him again about 20-25 feet away. Now having a team I know what it is like during that time and would never go up to anyone unless they speak first but I thought this guy was out of line. I could see his point if I was standing on the other side of the smoker but that far away I was closer to another team than I was him. Not wanting to interrupt the "legend" we walked away and I did not argue with this guy. My wife was upset walking away wonder if we did do something wrong and did say don't you ever treat anyone that way during competition. I do not feel angry with the legend he was just doing his thing. Am I wrong in feeling this guy was out of line. And if the out of line guy is on this site feel free to explain your self. Thanks for listening.

ADMIN NOTE:
Before commenting on this thread. Be advised that the issue has been worked out between both parties in the following posts and both sides have explained the course of events. Please read the thread before further comment.
In other words, put away the torch and pitchfork and dont jump on anyone until you read the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would blame the rent-a-cop more than the Legend. If you weren't bothering him I'm sure he didn't mind. Let it roll off and give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
Ed

I'd question the need for a rent-a-cop in the first place. Maybe I don't understand because I'm not a legend! LOL! I guess some guys get hammered for photos and autographs and need some sort of a buffer between them and the public while they are busy. But I bet this "legend" would not have been happy with his security for being such an ___ to fans.

We had a sign asking people not to disturb us when the sign was up (turn-ins were going on). Even with Myron standing right there in the open everyone respected it. I suspect someone (the rentacop) was taking themselves a little too seriously.

I know of whom you speak. I suspect it was a combination of people that didn't respect his time Saturday and a snotty security guy. I will defend the legend by saying I'm nobody, and I had people wanting to talk about my sponsor while I was working.....I quickly explained I was busy, but it comes with the territory. Now, If I had that 100 fold, I would have put up a fence like Rod did.

Just a thought....the AR could put up a fence that excluded visitors ONLY during turn-ins and charge teams $$ if they deemed themselves self-important enough to pay for turn-in isolation. Seems better than using pissy rent-a-cops.

I do not blame the legend one bit he had nothing to do with it and the rent a cop was another competitor not actual security that's just what he said.(I am just not saying the name to keep his privacy) I was not in the way and no where near the legend. This was just a helpie helperton trying to look cool in front of this guy.

10:00 am on the day of a HUGE competition....... come on man !!... Really ?!?!?!?... If it were me, I'd stayed away.. completely.. on saturday morning.. no if's and's or but's..

I just think protecting his privacy is a good way to start rumors. You mention a jambo, so I think tuffy (no), trigg (maybe), rod (maybe). Just say the name or don't post. Just my opinion.

OK no one has a problem, it was Trigg and as I said i was closer to other teams then him in the walk way 20 to 25 feet away not in his area again i don't blame him, and stay away completely would mean leaving the royal site completely. as i walked up the next row to the building other people were also walking around. So really i do think the other guy was out of line.

Me myself, I sure hope that one day people will come bother me while I am cooking at the American Royal Invitational. Even more, I hope they know who I am when they come bother me. :becky:

Seriously though, if your 25 feet away that should not be a problem ever. If someone is too famous that it bothers them to have people taking pic's of them from 25ft away then that is sad.

I'm sure he did not care that we took pictures from a distance and for less then a minute it was just the other competitor trying to be a hero. He could have said a lot of other things that would not have been a problem but he was nasty and that's where I have the problem.

Personally, I don't think judges should be anywhere near the teams as they prepare for turn-ins on the morning of a contest. Visit the night before if you want, but the morning of a contest, judges should not be out talking to teams or taking pictures of them and their sites.

As far as this guy goes, maybe he was out of line, but maybe Johnny had mentioned how much he had been bothered the day before. But Johnny is a big boy and can firmly and politely tell people to not disturb him during that time. If he was that bothered by it he would have a canopy with walls up. I personally just tell folks "sorry, I can't talk now while I am busy with my turn ins...feel free to watch and I will answer any questions you have when the last turn in is done." So far everyone has been understanding, but I am no legend, so I am sure Johnny has more to deal with than I do.

I was just thinking to be at that point where you would have to have someone guard your site...Then only time I get bothered is someone asking for directions to the porta-potty.
Really, I do get pretty upset when people enter my site without being invited. That being said, I put up walls and would not care if someone was 25' away taking pics if I didn't have walls up.

Off the top I'll say that the "security" guy was most likely taking himself too seriously. On the other hand, when Mike Lake told us to be back in our seats at 11:20 I took a walk in the expo hall & looked at all of the toys that I can't afford. I do my visiting on the night before (leaving before midnight) or after judging, that way there's not a chance of a problem like that.

Thats my point the guy was getting too serious and nasty to the point he really upset my wife. I was not visiting teams the day of (thats why i avoided the team i was hanging with friday night) just walking around. I guess there's one in every crowd.

It was the security guy for sure...even if it was per Johnny's wishes (which I seriously doubt) 25 feet is a helluva buffer zone to snap a few pics. Johnny handles his "legend" status with cool professionalism always...:cool:

Didn't you see the one episode of Pitmasters in season one where they mentioned something in Johnny's boot? If he reached down and it looked like he was just gonna pull his socks up, I'd run like hell! :becky: And JD is right... Johnny handles his status with class and always has time for folks to take photos and to tell a story. Love seeing him pose in pics with the young 'uns. Class act without a doubt.

Back