Chicken Practice

eap0510

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
With a contest coming up next month I decided that I needed to practice my chicken this past weekend.

All rubbed up and ready to be put on at 275.
20180819_133741_zpsamavfq9d.jpg

Here are the legs all finished up.
20180819_161847_zps4byunef4.jpg

20180819_161854_zpswp7fnfm1.jpg

Pot's Happy rub definitely made me happy with the taste of these legs.
Thanks for looking

Great color, I bet they taste as good as they look.

Now that the practice cook is over definitely time to practice eating.

Do you finish at a higher temp to crisp the skin, they look great

Looks like you nailed that cook. I took that class this past March and will test out the things I learned this weekend at Pigs and Peaches in Kennesaw. If my chicken looks that good, I'll be happy.

Looks like you nailed that cook. I took that class this past March and will test out the things I learned this weekend at Pigs and Peaches in Kennesaw. If my chicken looks that good, I'll be happy.

Pots class was well worth the money. I took it last year and ended up finishing 4th overall at last year's Pigs and Peaches. Took 2nd place chicken and 3rd place pork.

I wish I was going back this year but I had something come up that is stopping me from going back.

Good Luck!

Great color, I bet they taste as good as they look.

The taste was really good but the tenderness is what was missing. I am attempting to use Costco's organic legs but for some reason the texture of their legs is off. They have a little bit more chew than I am looking for when I judge chicken. I am thinking that I need to cook them to a higher temperature somewhere around 170-175.

Looks great I think thighs are easier and fit into the box easier too

Both legs and thighs are easy to fit in a box in my opinion.

The real difference is in prepping them. Legs take almost no time at all for me to prep where thighs takes a longer time. It is the scrapping of the skins on the thighs that takes me so long. I was never able to get bite through skin within scrapping the skins.

The taste was really good but the tenderness is what was missing. I am attempting to use Costco's organic legs but for some reason the texture of their legs is off. They have a little bit more chew than I am looking for when I judge chicken. I am thinking that I need to cook them to a higher temperature somewhere around 170-175.

Even that seems low. Try going to at least 185 with a test cook to see how they are.

^^^agree, I prefer eating thighs and legs cooked to at LEAST 185*, I feel like the meat breaks down a little better.

Even that seems low. Try going to at least 185 with a test cook to see how they are.

Thanks Ron for the suggestion.
I'll run a few of the up to 175 then start to pull a few off every few degrees until I get them to a tenderness I like.

Back